Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach Output help

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tach Output help

I have a tach out of a 97 Ford Cougar v8. Bought it from the bone yard this past weekend and cannot get it to work. Looking at alldata it has power ground, signal and cyliner pins. the cylinder pin is grounded on the v8 cars. so its ether going to be v6 when not grounded or v8 when grounded.
so Ive tried the tach output to 3, 4, and 6 with no change. the tach will move maybe 100 rpm upon startup and when rev nada. I tried looking at a ford HPtuners file and tach output is not an option. Is there any guide that shows how to calculate the resolution required to operate the FORD tach.
I know fords require a tach adapter box when going aftermarket... maybe thats a problem im running into?

thanks fellas,
clint

p.s. the reason why I bought that tach is becuase i plan on taking it apart and retrofitting my fuel gauge into a indash tach. 87 silverado...
Old 03-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Launching!

maybe this would help ... how does a ford mustang owner get their factory tach to work with a ls1? that might be the answer im looking for...
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your ford tach might need a stronger signal.

basically, you take a key+ 12v feed with a resistor on the end, splice that into your tach output signal from the PCM.

See here (there's probably many more threads about this as well) https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...e-works-2.html