PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you use to datalog your LSx?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What do you use to datalog your LSx?

I'm new to the LSx PCM world.
I used to use a $70 moates cable and free software to datalog on my laptop.
When I went back to find a solution for the LSx PCM, I found that it cost $400.
Since then, I've seen a few other options including wifi and bluetooth transmitters in around $175-200.

I'm interested to hear what others are using.

If the solution happens to also feed Wideband O2 gauges, that would be even better; but it's not a requirement.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I use the HP Tuners Pro interface. I can't remember how long it will log for but it's a good bit and I can play back on my laptop. I can also log through that to my laptop for as long as I have battery on the laptop. Logging too long is pretty pointless usually because at some point you have to sift through your logs if you want to learn anything.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I use the HP Tuners Pro interface. I can't remember how long it will log for but it's a good bit and I can play back on my laptop. I can also log through that to my laptop for as long as I have battery on the laptop. Logging too long is pretty pointless usually because at some point you have to sift through your logs if you want to learn anything.
It's very useful information for tuning and when trying to diagnose a problem.
But no, I wouldn't sit there and read it every night just for fun.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I currently use hptuners also, but the cheaper version that does not support widebang logging. The pro version does have that capability, it's more money though.

I used to have a dashhawk v2 that would not only display certain parameters but also had a feature to log data which you then downloaded to a laptop and viewd.

Either way, it's going to run you more than $70. You can find some cheap deals on used stuff though.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can log a wideband without HPtuner pro just have to feed it into the car pcm on either the egr, evap, or a/c circuit and set up a custom pid.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flame
You can log a wideband without HPtuner pro just have to feed it into the car pcm on either the egr, evap, or a/c circuit and set up a custom pid.
It doesn't work al that awesome though... the widebands already have an output/processing delay and when you do it like this, now the PCM has to read the signal from an input, do some processing, and hand it over to the data stream which introduces further delay. Typically in the logger, you end up several frames behind. If you are using this tune a car with, the lag pollutes the histogram with a high margin of false error every time that commanded fueling changes. What happens is the car will move commanded AFR from 14.67 to 12.6-8 (whatever) but for the first 2-4 frames that commanded fueling goes low, the wideband is still reporting the higher value, and the same happens when it exits heavy fueling. That will show in the histograms as a 15-16% error that is not real. There is no way to shift the wideband's data back or forth in time in the log either.

On top of that, it introduces another potential voltage offset to that analog signal.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I use EFILive FlashScan V2 in BBL/standalone mode... it reads the AFR and Lambda from my Innovate LC-1 using serial comms and stores them as a pids in the logs... the logs are stored on a 2GB card plugged into the V2.

(Innovate widebands/gauges support daisy chained serial comms)

The V2 lets you view the pid data on its LCD while logging is in progress.

When I return from a logging session, I take V2 to my PC, I upload the log files, use the software to view the log files, edit the tune file, and write the new tune onto V2 (SD card)... I then take V2 to vehicle and flash the PCM and do a new logging session.

When viewing log files and editing the tune file on a PC, the scantool software links the logged pids into the tables in the tunetool software... i.e. the tables in the tune have the operating cell highlighted from the log pids (i.e. the pids index the x and y axis of that table).

What is your objective and platform...?

Last edited by joecar; 03-18-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joecar
What is your objective and platform...?
It's a 383 LT1 with a 24x conversion and LSx PCM.
I use datalogs to make sure things are running properly.
In this case, I have a mailorder startup tune; I'm going to have to make sure
it's running properly before I strap it to a dyno. I don't like surprises that
turn a dyno tune day into a waste of everyone's time.

In the future, I'll use it to review conditions from runs at the drag strip and the impact of any changes I might make.

It will also be important when I install a DP N20 setup so I can verify that it is safe to arm the system.

I was looking at a dynojet Wideband 2 LCD system, it looks like I can log ODBII data and a single wideband input.
That might work out well for me. I wish it could do two external widebands since I run a dual 3" exhaust.