PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fat at cruise and timing is at 40*......

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fat at cruise and timing is at 40*......

a friends car is running extremely rich at idle and while driving (cruise). also had a popping noise in between shifts as the motor decelerated. when i was looking at the logs i noticed his timing advance was up at 40-43 degrees while cruising. when he would go WOT the timing would drop to the mid 30's. so in the hptuners scanner under fuel & spark/ spark control i adjusted for a minus 4 in the spark control.

Almost immediately he asked what i did because he felt a slight difference in the way the car felt.she felt much more responsive. timing advance after adjustment was 36.5-38 degres at cruise. did a few wot passes and the cars timing advance was around 27-29 degrees.

Was this the correct thing to do on my end as far as the adjustment i made to help compensate for the fuel he was dumping? Cause i know his timing is ridiculous

i would have posted a log but im a newb and well i corrupted the file upon saving it like a R-tard

i only used the scanner because he did not want to buy the credits to license his car.....
Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Since you only used the scanner and didn't rewrite the program, his tune is now back like it was before you started. Not sure if you knew that.

Anyway, cruising in the 40s and wot in the 30s isn't really a bad thing. You see cars that have 40s all over the place in part throttle tunes. However, the wot part, you don't typically see 30s. You usually see high 20s for n/a cars.
Timing will vary from vehicle to vehicle and from tune to tune. Once you have the car running the correct afr, then play with the timing to see what is right (which will in turn affect afr...lol).

So, in answer to your question, no you didn't do a bad thing. You could have been right on the money. The only way to know for sure is to put the car in different load conditions and see what performs the best (while monitoring afr and knock sensors).
Old 05-18-2011, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2
Since you only used the scanner and didn't rewrite the program, his tune is now back like it was before you started. Not sure if you knew that.

Anyway, cruising in the 40s and wot in the 30s isn't really a bad thing. You see cars that have 40s all over the place in part throttle tunes. However, the wot part, you don't typically see 30s. You usually see high 20s for n/a cars.
Timing will vary from vehicle to vehicle and from tune to tune. Once you have the car running the correct afr, then play with the timing to see what is right (which will in turn affect afr...lol).

So, in answer to your question, no you didn't do a bad thing. You could have been right on the money. The only way to know for sure is to put the car in different load conditions and see what performs the best (while monitoring afr and knock sensors).
thank you very much for the response sir.i appreciate it