Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 tuned with edit problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Z06 tuned with edit problem

Hi all. Just bought a 2001 Z06 that has a few mods. It has been tuned with edit and runs and idles very well, except just after filling the tank. It is like it has to relearn the idle after every fillup? What causes this?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Here's one theory for you...
Opening the gas tank affects the evaporative purge system. When you replace the gas cap, there are gasoline vapors trapped in there. When you restart the car, the evap system has to pump the vapor out through your intake manifold. This affects the idle and fuel trims for a few minutes until the evap system has done its job.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Teching In

That SHOULDN'T affect the idle! It could be a number of things, but it SHOULD be setting or throwing a code if it is powertrain related (and a fault in the EVAP system certainly would!)

Could also be dirt, abuse, something out of adjustment, a part ready to fail...
Suggest a more comprenhensive diagnosis before proceeding. Good luck!

Last edited by emarkay; 03-16-2004 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-16-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Regular

True, the evap system doing its job shouldn't affect idle.
I have logged the fuel trims changing several times immediately after a fill up. They go large and negative for about 1-2 minutes, then settle back down to their normal values. I'm close to stock, so I really didn't notice any idle quality change.
I was guessing that the brief period of richness might be more noticeable on some cars, depending on the mods.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by deezel
True, the evap system doing its job shouldn't affect idle.
I have logged the fuel trims changing several times immediately after a fill up. They go large and negative for about 1-2 minutes, then settle back down to their normal values. I'm close to stock, so I really didn't notice any idle quality change.
I was guessing that the brief period of richness might be more noticeable on some cars, depending on the mods.
That sounds like what it could be car has a rather large cam.... Ill try just removing/replacing the gas cap without refilling and see if the same thing happens...