PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What in the world is wrong with my fuel gauge? *Nothing to do w/the sending unit!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Angry What in the world is wrong with my fuel gauge? *Nothing to do w/the sending unit!

Update post #5 (I fixed it)

I need to know if my problem could be something with the PCM.

Problem: The fuel gauge reads full always when the car is off, no keys. When I put the key on run and or start the car, it immediately goes straight to E. As soon as I turn the car off, it goes right back to full. I completely disconnected the harness to the gas tank and it still does exactly the same thing.

BTW, my PCM is giving a 5 volt reference feed to the back. Their is no SES light. I'm assuming if this mess was a problem with the PCM, I would have a SES light. Does the BCM have anything to do with the fuel gauge? That came on the same time my fuel gauge went out.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 02-06-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Also, I know the gauge cluster gets most of its readings to the needles via pin B6, which is a Class 2 serial data feed. All my other gauges work correctly.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kinda a shitty process , BUT...
if your have anyone who dosnt care if you barrow there cluster.. try it out see if it fixs things with a new cluster..
OR ,GM dealer buy a new one.. test the waters.. if dosnt work return and pay restocking fee...
sounds like your cluster just took a dump ..
Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, I already have another cluster on the way. If it fixes it, great! If it doesn't, I can just re-sell it.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

I figured I'd update this saying that I fixed it! Nobody ever updates their problem's solution.

For starters, I decided to replace my bad sending unit. I had always held off on it because you had to buy the entire pump assembly for several hundred dollars, even for one at Autozone. Some new research let me to find out Racetronix now sells just the sending unit for $50. ******' A! I bought mine from Lonnies Performance, a sponsor on here. Racetronix is in Canada and shipping to the states was ridiculous. LP carries Racetronix stuff.

With a working sending unit, that ruled that out as a problem and I was still having the same issue. I had done some work on replacing my LEDs on my gauges and thought I might had done something to the electronics. I hadn't taken off the needles when I did the work. I thought maybe they were pushed on too far, no dice. The problem was that the needle wanted to spin around to land in the correct position. I still don't understand it, but the clear plastic bezel was preventing the needle from doing that. So just put the gauges back on and turn the key on first, THEN put the clear bezel on. Problem solved.

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 02-06-2012 at 01:07 AM.