PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(video) I'm surprised by this.. my swap idles ok but dies in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (video) I'm surprised by this.. my swap idles ok but dies in gear.

So I took the LS1 (LS6 intake MS3,cam LS1) out of a 99 Camaro with wiring harness and PCM put it in my 91 Corvette. I sent the PCM off and had a bunch off stuff turned off basically like it was going into a hot-rod. I figured the tune would be close enough where it would be at-least drivable.. It will Idles but it dies as soon as I put it in gear. I always planned on having a dyno tune done but I won't even be able to get it there now without a tow.

The only difference between the Camaro and my car would be intake, exhaust and gear ratio. Gear ratio ..mine 3.07s Camaro 3.23 I believe and 300 higher stall.My car has a better intake and stock 98 Corvette manifolds going into stock dual LT1 exhaust. The Camaro had LT headers and stock exaust. I also had the rear 02s deleted would this be the cause of the tune being off so much? It's pretty rich and already fouled a set of plugs just running it through one heat cycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk1p_...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by LSCha0s; 07-02-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try unplugging the MAF and see if it still does it. The different intake can screw with how the MAF needs to be calibrated. It's a slim chance, but it's the only thing outside of an oversight in the tune that I can think of off the top of my head.

And your video doesn't show your car dying at all, it just showed it sitting there idling.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks Ill try that when I get home this afternoon and maybe shoot a video of it dying as well.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scan for the "Trans Current Gear" PID and see if the PCM
knows it's in gear. There are running airflow tables that
should compensate for in-gear trans load, as long as the
PCM knows what's what (and, you populate the data to
suit the real load / motor efficiency at idle).
Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, I know F-body 4L60e transmissions aren't directly cross compatible from LT1 to LS1 cars. Not sure how that works with the Corvettes.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Scan for the "Trans Current Gear" PID and see if the PCM
knows it's in gear. There are running airflow tables that
should compensate for in-gear trans load, as long as the
PCM knows what's what (and, you populate the data to
suit the real load / motor efficiency at idle).
I'm not sure if the scanning software I have will do that. I have a OBDlink SX.. with OBDwiz.. I will look into that. I also noticed I need to adjust my trans cable maybe you have a point. I was able to put it into gear today after it warmed up and feathered the throttle enough to pull it out of and back into the garage. I also tried to disconect the MAF but that just made the problem worse.

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
Also, I know F-body 4L60e transmissions aren't directly cross compatible from LT1 to LS1 cars. Not sure how that works with the Corvettes.
I don't believe that is it.. I should have mentioned I have a built 4L60E out of a 2000 GM truck.

Thank you all for the response the more I think about this the more I believe I just need a good tune. I was worried that there was a problem and I sure hate to have a tuner come over only to tell me I have issues that need to be fixed first.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I got
It is still running a little rich but it runs so much better. I took out the IAC cleaned it up and did a TPS relearn. Now it starts right away and does not die when I give it gas. It is up in the air right now because Im trying to figure out how to adjust the trans linkage but Otherwise its much better..

Quick Reply: (video) I'm surprised by this.. my swap idles ok but dies in gear.