PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no comunication with pcm after reprogram?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default no comunication with pcm after reprogram?

I just reprogrammed my 97 c5 with edit and now I cant communicate with my
pcm using autotap or my tech2 at the dealership.The car will not start because the pcm is not online . I can not flash it back to stock because I can not request info . I think another module tried to communicate with the pcm during programming and locked the pcm
does any one know of a fix?
Thanks Dale
Old 05-06-2004, 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when that happened with mine (i lost communication during a write) I brought it to a dealership and they reflashed it... but I don't know how they did it
Old 05-06-2004, 10:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If a tech-2 cannot recover it, the pcm flash chip needs to be desoldered.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

How about posting some more information. Same thing happened to my PCM. Dealer wasn't able to reflash it. I was told the PCM was fried but couldn't get anyone to admit who did it. Tuner or GM equipment when first attempt to reflash.

Car ran great. PCM was removed from the car. The tuner took it the the dealer to be reflashed. The Tech 2 couldn't read the PCM. Dealer said it was fried. Strange thing is that it happened on two PCMS the tuner took to the dealer. One after the other.

Is it possible they hosed mine because it is a 98 and they tried to flash it as a 99 or newer?

What does desolder mean? If you desolder, doesn't that mean you have to resolder it?????????????????????????????????
Old 05-07-2004, 12:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

hehe.. desolder means you have to physically remove the memory chip from the PCM.. its not a fun process.. then yes, you have to resolder it, or solder a new one on..

You can kill a PCM with the tech-2. The tech-2 rewrites the entire PCM, similar to our tuner feature in VCM Suite called "Rewrite Entire VCM".. go figure... well what happens is the programming tool erases the entire PCM and then proceeds to write it. If PCM power is lost before the tool has the chance to write the first portion of the PCM (the critical operating system), if power is pulled the PCM will nolonger respond to communication required to re-initate the write process.

The standard write procedure in VCM Suite is protected against this case though. In fact, you can write the PCM using the standard write procedure, and pull the PCM write afterward without it completing, re-power up the PCM, re-start the write.. and you'll be good to go. You will not need to have the car towed to a dealear to have it fixed.