Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! car wont start need help troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! car wont start need help troubleshooting

I will apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section and of course for the long post. I am new to the forums and LS world so please bear with me. I have an 02 ws6, M6, just bolt ons, SLP lid, full exhaust, SLP MAF.

while pulling into a parking lot my car started running like crap until it died less then 30 seconds later. I checked rails and had fuel pressure. all my fuses were good. I tried to start it again, it would crank fire once and that's it. now it will only fire once every once in a while. I changed my crank sensor with no luck. I again checked for fuel pressure and NOTHING. i had changed my fuel filter not 2 weeks before. I checked my pump with plenty of pressure, then after my filter and plenty of pressure. it will once in a while be able to get pressure to my rails but more often i have nothing.

I am also having issues with what seems to be my VATS and im not sure if the issues are related. the majority of the time when i turn my key nothing will happen, as if the VATS is messed up. i do have the resister bypass and it has worked fine for over a year. using HP tuners i shut off my vast with no change. im at a loss right now. anything to point me in the right direction will be of great help.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02bandit
I will apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section and of course for the long post. I am new to the forums and LS world so please bear with me. I have an 02 ws6, M6, just bolt ons, SLP lid, full exhaust, SLP MAF.

while pulling into a parking lot my car started running like crap until it died less then 30 seconds later. I checked rails and had fuel pressure. all my fuses were good. I tried to start it again, it would crank fire once and that's it. now it will only fire once every once in a while. I changed my crank sensor with no luck. I again checked for fuel pressure and NOTHING. i had changed my fuel filter not 2 weeks before. I checked my pump with plenty of pressure, then after my filter and plenty of pressure. it will once in a while be able to get pressure to my rails but more often i have nothing.

I am also having issues with what seems to be my VATS and im not sure if the issues are related. the majority of the time when i turn my key nothing will happen, as if the VATS is messed up. i do have the resister bypass and it has worked fine for over a year. using HP tuners i shut off my vast with no change. im at a loss right now. anything to point me in the right direction will be of great help.
Try swapping your fuel pump relay with your A/C relay. The fact that you are losing pressure, getting pressure, losing it, etc. could be a bad Fuel Pump relay.

That would be the nice, easy fix. If it isn't that, your fuel pump may just be on the fritz...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Teching In

I have swapped relays, as well as replaced it with a new one. Going to try a friends fuel pump tonight to see if there is any change.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Teching In

tested out a friends pump that we know works with the same result! im running out of ideas here.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tested out a friends pump that we know works with the same result! im running out of ideas here.
Did you confirm no fuel pressure at the rail after you swapped pumps?
Did you check for power and ground at the fuel pump connector when you were swapping them out? (I hope so....)
What about your fuel filter? Have you taken it off? It may be clogged. I've seen cheap filters actually come apart and plug the fuel line

The car is cranking right?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Teching In

correct no pressure at the rail. I checked my filter this weekend and it was clear, allowing plenty of flow. im right back to square one. I can once in a great while get pressure to the rail but 9 times out of 10, nothing. I have power to my pump with a good connection but tonight's discovery is the pump is not kicking on every time even with the different pump...? im still new to this like i said, but if the pump is good, it has power, why wouldn't it pump? is there something computer related that would cause this?
Old 12-18-2013, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

correct no pressure at the rail. I checked my filter this weekend and it was clear, allowing plenty of flow. im right back to square one. I can once in a great while get pressure to the rail but 9 times out of 10, nothing. I have power to my pump with a good connection but tonight's discovery is the pump is not kicking on every time even with the different pump...? im still new to this like i said, but if the pump is good, it has power, why wouldn't it pump? is there something computer related that would cause this?
There is also the ground wire (black) at the connector. Maybe you have a bad ground. Other thought I had was maybe your ignition switch is going out and randomly cutting power to the pump. You use the trap door method of replacing the pump? So when you get pressure is the car starting? You said 1 in 10 times you will get pressure..?
Old 12-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Yes I used the trap door method. When I get pressure it will fire one time but will not run. And correct more often then not I'm not getting any pressure.

Quick Reply: HELP! car wont start need help troubleshooting