PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Write entire" hptuners with the door open!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default "Write entire" hptuners with the door open!

Hey guys, recently licensed my 2001 PCM and got a mail order 3 bar SD "break in" tune via email!

So I start to "write entire" the new 3 bar OS and forgot that I left the door open, oooops!!

Well it finished writing in 2 min and everything seemed fine, and to test it I closed VCM editor out and reopened it and clicked "read VCM" and after It read it I opened it and compared to the 3 bar SD tune that I flashed in the first place and everything was identical..

I know I'm not supposed to have the door open but as long as everything wrote smoothly with no errors is everything cool? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2014, 03:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 699 Likes on 440 Posts

Door open would cause weird things to happen in my C5. Sometimes. Like the engine would run fine, but the dash would be dead. Or the engine would idle but not drive.
You might just redo it with the door closed.....
Old 02-01-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Door open would cause weird things to happen in my C5. Sometimes. Like the engine would run fine, but the dash would be dead. Or the engine would idle but not drive.
You might just redo it with the door closed.....
really hmm

I'm contemplating doing another "write entire" for peace of mind

but, Id hate to fry the PCM since they say to only do "write entires" only one time...

have you done multiple "write entires" with no problems?
Old 02-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
really hmm

I'm contemplating doing another "write entire" for peace of mind

but, Id hate to fry the PCM since they say to only do "write entires" only one time...

have you done multiple "write entires" with no problems?
It's only required once! You can do it as many times as you want. After that all you need to upload is calibration portion which has the changes you made.

Door open or anything for that matter can be an issue when doing a full rewrite do to other modules on same serial line, like a BCM having a fit and sending a signal "DOOR IS OPEN!" Ahhhh! Panic! I get spooked when doing full re-writes and usually pull the PCM and bench flash. But seems your car is acceptable since you've already done it as are most. I just hate bricks!
Old 02-01-2014, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EagleMark
It's only required once! You can do it as many times as you want. After that all you need to upload is calibration portion which has the changes you made.

Door open or anything for that matter can be an issue when doing a full rewrite do to other modules on same serial line, like a BCM having a fit and sending a signal "DOOR IS OPEN!" Ahhhh! Panic! I get spooked when doing full re-writes and usually pull the PCM and bench flash. But seems your car is acceptable since you've already done it as are most. I just hate bricks!
If it sent a signal "door is open" while flashing, will the tune still copy over or will an error pop up and interrupt it?
Old 02-01-2014, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

On F-car, door open does not matter because the BCM is not on the serial bus.

On Y-car, the BCM is on the serial bus and door open would cause it to attempt talking on the bus (to communicate with the IPC).
Old 02-02-2014, 12:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joecar
On F-car, door open does not matter because the BCM is not on the serial bus.

On Y-car, the BCM is on the serial bus and door open would cause it to attempt talking on the bus (to communicate with the IPC).
Ok, that explains why everything went smoothly then..

Quick Reply: "Write entire" hptuners with the door open!