Sponsored by:

LS1, Project / odd issue / 914/ls1/G-50/996

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1, Project / odd issue / 914/ls1/G-50/996

Love this site but don't post much.
I'm working on a project that is using a LS1 and I decided to connect a battery and see if the scanner lights up and shows data. Sure enough its reading data well. I decided to see if the DBW works. Well I have a programed PCM for this type of rig but I didn't think the DBW would move without an RPM signal. Well it does open and shut great. Guess that make sense ?
My issue is the scanner doesn't show an rpm signal, no injector pulse etc.
When I crank the engine a few seconds maybe 5 seconds the scanner drops the data page and says something like "fault detected do you wish to continue" or something like that. I then decided to turn the ignition on and watch the scanner when I unplugged and plugged the crank sensor in and out. OK, I could here the FP relay and some injector firing as I expected. But a few times the scanner dropped the data page again as I said above. Also if I crank the engine with the crank sensor plugged in the above scanner skews the page, but unplugged the scanner while cranking stays lit and works fine. No codes (engine doesn't run Yet) but the reaction around the crank sensor seems wrong for sure. Reference voltage is a volt lower than battery voltage but other wise wiring at the sensor is good.
What do you guys have to say ?? LOL

Old 01-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Have a crank sensor coming. Having a 12 volt reference maybe a skewed sensor will wreak havoc on the PCM.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:58 AM

Was doing some searching on this type of swap. Did you finish this car? Post some pics? how does it handle with that much power?

Quick Reply: LS1, Project / odd issue / 914/ls1/G-50/996