Sponsored by:

Holley HP Digital Dash...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Holley HP Digital Dash...

Hi All,

Pardon me if this has been covered, I don't come in here much. I have a Holley HP that I'll be using in my Rambler swap, and I plan to use a 10" Win8 tablet to use the Holley tuning software. What I'm trying to find is software that mimics their $800 stand-alone "digital dash" that will run on the tablet. Failing that, has anyone tried installing their d.d. software on a generic computer?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2015, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, for anyone who cares: Holley states that the digital dash software is not available, nor will it be. In fact, it's not even Win-based. Travis (from Holley) sent me a screenshot of the gauge screen included in their tuning software v2 upgrade. Too bad for me, the "gauges" icon is grayed out until the ECM is powered up and connected and mine won't be for awhile...
Attached Thumbnails Holley HP Digital Dash...-holley-v2-dashboard.jpg  
Old 04-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible solution Holley tablet. Anyone tried this?

So digging around a little I found a couple of things. I'm just a dumb guy and not a computer expert so this might not work but may be worth someone giving a try (I'm still in the planning stages of my build and don't have the Holley unit yet).

First, in the instruction manual for the LCD touch screen (part#553-103) it says the system runs on Microsoft windows CE platform. My guess is the digital dash (part #553-106) runs on the same.

Second, I found that you can convert Android and other tablets to change operating system to windows CE just by inserting an SD card with the files. As example (sorry for the long video...but you get the idea)

Third, someone could get the files to "re-install" the Holley program on their unit due to some "problem". They would likely also be available on their touchscreen unit itself.

So I think you could find a cheap tablet, install windows CE, and install the App/program...you might be able to have full functionality with the improved gauges for a fraction of the cost...maybe.

Oh...I forgot this would probably require the can bus connection to work rather than connection to the efi.

Last edited by LBCportagee; 04-07-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LBCportagee
So digging around a little I found a couple of things. I'm just a dumb guy and not a computer expert so this might not work but may be worth someone giving a try (I'm still in the planning stages of my build and don't have the Holley unit yet).

First, in the instruction manual for the LCD touch screen (part#553-103) it says the system runs on Microsoft windows CE platform. My guess is the digital dash (part #553-106) runs on the same.

Second, I found that you can convert Android and other tablets to change operating system to windows CE just by inserting an SD card with the files. As example (sorry for the long video...but you get the idea) Tablet into windows CE

Third, someone could get the files to "re-install" the Holley program on their unit due to some "problem". They would likely also be available on their touchscreen unit itself.

So I think you could find a cheap tablet, install windows CE, and install the App/program...you might be able to have full functionality with the improved gauges for a fraction of the cost...maybe.

Oh...I forgot this would probably require the can bus connection to work rather than connection to the efi.
I've got a 553-106 digital dash. It's running on a Unix OS, not Windows CE.

Ryan
Old 04-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ryan23
I've got a 553-106 digital dash. It's running on a Unix OS, not Windows CE.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan so it's only the older lcd model that's on CE. You can see that here (see windows icon bottom left). I think we'd need the .cab file to install it.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:31 PM
Teching In

https://www.holley.com/support/resources/

The cabinet file is under Previous software versions, Holley efi reloadPM installer, if someone wants to give this all a shot.

Again, no idea if this will work or not. I will eventually give it a shot (in like 6 months). My plans are for an mid-engine LSx Superlite...still in Corvette part out mode.

Last edited by LBCportagee; 04-07-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:04 PM
Teching In

As an alternative it might be possible to get the newer software from the digital dash. As Ryan mentioned it runs on unix os. Therefore it MIGHT be possible to install UBUNTU on a tablet and intall the .TGZ files (compressed tar files) from the firmware update. Again I don't use Unix/Linux so I'm just guessing. Someone with a background should chime in.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

As an alternative it might be possible to get the newer software from the digital dash. As Ryan mentioned it runs on unix os. Therefore it MIGHT be possible to install UBUNTU on a tablet and intall the .TGZ files (compressed tar files) from the firmware update. Again I don't use Unix/Linux so I'm just guessing. Someone with a background should chime in.
I think the problem you would run into is I/O. Whatever the hardware is, there's a good shot it's proprietary.

Ryan
Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 PM
Teching In

You could be right (I was wondering why they would by using those particular tablet's, their horrible...it's 2015 not 1985 - only other reason I can think of is they're buying em for $25 and selling them for $800). I don't know about proprietary though...they seem to use a lot of freeware to develop their systems (not the ecu necessarily just the tablets). Won't know if it works till somebody gives it a shot. No harm to try (unless you brick you're tablet...haha)

Anyway I don't see this being too different then running it from the ecu to a laptop with their software nothing proprietary in the I/O there. Just a different interface.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You could be right (I was wondering why they would by using those particular tablet's, their horrible...it's 2015 not 1985 - only other reason I can think of is they're buying em for $25 and selling them for $800).
I don't think you understand what the new dash is, It's connected via "CAN bus" so even if you put the software on a tablet it still won't function like the dash does. The dash is expandable and it's built like a tank. I plan on using a the new dash and a tablet in my setup. Both will show gauges.
What are you wanting your tablet to do?
Old 04-09-2015, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
I don't think you understand what the new dash is, It's connected via "CAN bus" so even if you put the software on a tablet it still won't function like the dash does. The dash is expandable and it's built like a tank. I plan on using a the new dash and a tablet in my setup. Both will show gauges.
What are you wanting your tablet to do?
You're right. I haven't handled the units. I thought the tablets connected via the CAN bus connection to the tablet via USB. Sounds like you're saying they are hardwired. Makes sense.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You're right. I haven't handled the units. I thought the tablets connected via the CAN bus connection to the tablet via USB. Sounds like you're saying they are hardwired. Makes sense.
CAN bus and USB are similar but yet different. It's just two ways for data to travel.

What are you trying to do with a tablet that makes you think you need to run the Holley dash software on it?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:42 PM
Teching In

I didn't need to...just kinda wanted to. The truth is I hadn't really looked that far into it yet, but I thought I'd respond to the Op with some ideas. Unfortunately those ideas were a bit premature. I had only recently decided to use a Holley HP in my build over HP tuners and saw that people were attempting to use tablets for gauges (less so for full features). When it comes time for my own build I will dive back into a solution that fits my needs.

Beyond that, to tell you why i'm personally interested in the first place, my build is using the interior (safety cell only) of a nearly 20 year old mitsu eclipse. Yes a rear mid-engine LS1 eclipse with a tubular racing chassis (check out superlitecars.com - details on the "Apex" are somewhat hidden but you may have already seen their SLC). The dash in an eclipse is a little dated and I was considering trying my hand at creating a carbon dashboard and reshaping in a gauge setup with a small tablet and also separately a large tablet for a GPS/radio unit by removing all AC controls. I could just use a torque app for the gauge cluster but I don't like the delay of the obd2/BT and haven't seen better solutions yet for the low baud rate. Don't really care for the idea of using a surface to connect to the Holley ECU either. So I spent an hour or two looking around. But that was as far as I got. I never really intended on using the tablet for the full functionality that the Holley digital dash possesses only for the gauges, I planned to do any tuning off my laptop.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:57 AM
Teching In

One final thought/possibility. And the only reason I'm still asking questions or pursing this is that there really isn't an better alternatives hench the Op's question (other than the digidash which I'll admit is nice just ugly and $$).

Is it not conceivable that the information that's populating the v.2 software gauges from the Holley ECU is the same data/format thats populating the digital dash from the CAN bus connection....after all it is all information coming from the same bus.

If so I would think you might be able to work around using the digital dash software on a laptop or tablet, but connecting via a usb to the ECU as you normally would rather than the CAN bus connection. Again the only reason would be for the better looking/readable gauges for $600 less.

Now wouldn't this be better...digital dash on Samsung tab2 10.1

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by LBCportagee; 04-10-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Holley HP Digital Dash...