Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6L80 Trans lock up wiring issue - need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6L80 Trans lock up wiring issue - need help

I have an L76 motor and 6L80 trans, all out of a Pontiac G8. I bought a PSI wiring harness. They had to make one because they were not doing a standard 6L80 harness back then (2 yrs ago) when I put it in. So I'm all done and ready to drive but I noticed my brake lights staying on. I checked the two purple wires for the Converter lock up and 1 wire has 7 volts on it and the other has 9 volts on it. I called and talked to PSI and we checked and made sure the wires were right and a few other things, but can't figure out what is wrong.
The only solution they have is for me to pull the harness out and send it back. Before I do this, does anyone have any ideas of what may cause this. Could it be caused by the tcm or pcm tune or anything else?
Any help would be greatly appreciated - If I pull this harness out it is going to set me back a month.

Thanks

Last edited by Blazincopper; 06-14-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Do you know for sure that you have the wires connected properly to your brake switch itself?

I realize you are using a PSI harness but of course wiring is wiring. According to Speartech's instruction page on hooking up brake. ''LT. BLUE (PPL in your case)
-
To brake light wire at brake switch. 12 volts when brakes are
applied. (Used for transmission/torque converter info).''

http://www.speartech.com/v/vspfiles/...ns/LS58X6L.pdf

To make it easier on your self tie both of those PPL wires from PSI harness and then take a single wire to the brake switch.

On an E38 ECM Pin 9 on X-1(Black Connector) should be 1/2 brake switch wires and other comes from the Black round connector on 6L80.
The 6L80 brake switch wire should be located in position 6
Old 06-15-2015, 07:52 AM
Teching In

Thanks for responding - the wires are in the correct pin locations. One is on pin 9 on the black connector on the ecm and the other goes to pin 6 on the trans connector. I ohmed them out and they are in the correct spots. I did have the two purple wires soldered together to a single wire going to the brake switch and they were wired 12V when brakes applied.

Quick Reply: 6L80 Trans lock up wiring issue - need help