PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent high idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 11:40 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I merged these two threads. I kept thinking I responded when I was reading the other one and was like what the hell happened to my post?

First things first. Get GOOD injector data in there. Everything else you do will be to bandaid that if the injector data is garbage. And it's a problem when it comes to running airflow, cracker/follower, and VE. VE can easily be tuned off the wideband, but the others are not so easy and in the end, you can chase you tail (ask me how I know). I swapped injectors with good, known data, and what took me weeks to fix before took me literally 10 mins to do on a retune.

In fact, most GM tables should be left alone. There's a reason fuel/air/spark are the big three. Get good injector data, clean up the VE table/RAF table, and then adjust spark. That should get you like 95% of the way there. The other tables don't need much adjustment. And if they do, one of the big three is off.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I merged these two threads. I kept thinking I responded when I was reading the other one and was like what the hell happened to my post?

First things first. Get GOOD injector data in there. Everything else you do will be to bandaid that if the injector data is garbage. And it's a problem when it comes to running airflow, cracker/follower, and VE. VE can easily be tuned off the wideband, but the others are not so easy and in the end, you can chase you tail (ask me how I know). I swapped injectors with good, known data, and what took me weeks to fix before took me literally 10 mins to do on a retune.

In fact, most GM tables should be left alone. There's a reason fuel/air/spark are the big three. Get good injector data, clean up the VE table/RAF table, and then adjust spark. That should get you like 95% of the way there. The other tables don't need much adjustment. And if they do, one of the big three is off.
You were good until the last sentence.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks idk why it posted before I was done I didn't even realize it until I was done. But I've tried another new tps and an iac valve and they both didn't help. The problem now is pretty much every start the car will high idle at 1500, then come down after about 10 seconds. It will do that again if I touch the throttle maybe 4 or 5 times then the rest of the time the car is running it runs perfect as it should. I am dropping it off at the tuner on Wednesday next week and they will have the car for the day. I would love to check the tables and everything you guys are talking about but to be honest I don't have hp tuners. Or any tuning equipment plus I wouldn't even know what I was looking at. I can build engines all day long but have never attempted or researched tuning. Thanks for all the replies, once I find out what it was and what had to be done to resolve the issue I will update this so maybe it could help someone else in the future.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HeavyMetl
I bow to those who can fix intermittent high idle. I wish someone would post a guide on fixing this issue rather than the usual chorus of "your VE tables suck" and "Run the Russ K idle config" and "Check your timing" and "base running airflow warble garble". Well....duh. Given the complexity of HpTuners and the factory PCM it seems to go a little deeper than the usual condescending advice.

As for me and my car, I just gave up and unplugged the IAC. Other than cold start issues (like a carb'd car now..lol) I'm thrilled to have a consistent rock solid idle and driveability with a 236/242 cam.

I became so frustrated browsing forums and trying again and again that I needed a break. I keep telling myself that someday when I get time I'll plug in the IAC and start over...but as for now it's too much fun to drive as is.
Would unplugging it throw a check engine light? And would it be safe to do?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I think Darth_V8r was referring to the "Throttle Cracker" Enable and Disable speeds.
Setting them to e.g. 80 and 81 would get rid of the "cruise control" that some people complain about when slowing down. These values would be similar to disconnecting the IAC. I don't think my 239/251 cam engine would cold start without an IAC.

I actually plan on trying those "80" and "81" values. IMHO the Throttle Cracker's purpose is to prevent the car from slowing dramatically when an everyday driver takes their foot off the throttle, and perhaps increases gas mileage during EPA tests. Millions of people drove millions of carburetored cars without a Throttle Cracker. (Didn't some of the last carburetored cars have something like a throttle cracker for EPA purposes.)

Going back to the original problems, there is a well proven "formula" for tuning the PCM, and going thought the "Russ K idle config" or equivalent is simply part of it. If the Base Idle Airflow is too high/low, the car will not idle correctly, will not return to idle correctly and perhaps even have tip-in problems.
I have changed major parts, intake manifold, injectors, cams, even engines every few months and each time I have to tune everything and I go through all the steps. As the cam's overlap gets higher, some steps become much harder, and IMHO some tables should be disabled because the engine is way outside GM's design specs for the PCM.
Hey, just my novice opinion.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

That's what it was, yes. The numbers were just arbitrarily high enough to get it to stop.

I had the blade cracked a bit too far I think. Tuner re-enabled it but made it less agressive so it'll hold 1100 instead of 1800 while coasting.

Based on how it seems to function, I guess it's there to prevent stalling while braking. Although with it disabled, the idle never stumbled on me.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
That's what it was, yes. The numbers were just arbitrarily high enough to get it to stop.

I had the blade cracked a bit too far I think. Tuner re-enabled it but made it less agressive so it'll hold 1100 instead of 1800 while coasting.

Based on how it seems to function, I guess it's there to prevent stalling while braking. Although with it disabled, the idle never stumbled on me.
Keep in mind that if you keep it enabled, you can fine tune it with the Throttle Cracker Airflow table. I have that table set to zero for 24mph and higher. However even with those values, if I am going e.g. 30 mph and move the shifter into Neutral, my RPMs climb to around 1800 which means it is still giving me "cruise control". I have my Base Idle Speed set to 950 and my Rolling Idle Speed set to 1000.
In short, while I have greatly reduced the "cruise control" problem, I have not yet completely eliminated it.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick84gt
Would unplugging it throw a check engine light? And would it be safe to do?
Indeed it does set off a code and enable the MIL. I have not tried since I literally just unplugged the IAC but perhaps it can be disabled. Otherwise, since "because stracecar" I'm running OLSD (No MAF) and since this caveman/hackjob fix cured my driveability woes I've put several hundred miles on the car.

I'll follow mrvedit advice and see how changing those values helps my car.

Also....aftermarket (such as the Holley EFI on my truck) have tons of background intelligence and make tuning driveability issues a breeze. I'm looking forward to saving up and buying a Holley EFI for my 3rd gen.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd begin by trying to find what makes the "intermittent"
nature. Look at the FTC when it's high and low - are you
maybe seeing an EVAP purge cycle that is sucking on an
open line? Falling into and out of closed loop idle control
due to a flaky temperature sensor? Is your desired air flow
jumping up and the motor following, vs a totally non-
commanded idle RPM setpoint? Does it follow A/C clutch
engage (via the accessory drag torque and a whacked
torque vs air mass model post-cam)? Find the handle.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some good stuff here. Although i have no tuning software, it helps a lot to understand whats going on and how many parameters there are. I just never thought I'd be going thru all this w 8 deg of overlap. After dealing with it for 6 months and having to wait for my busy tuner to get an opening, it may push me to buy the software.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Teching In

I have had good luck turning off follower. well zeroing out the table. and just going off the Cracker for fine tuning under braking. eliminated my hanging idle issues. and the "cruise control" was gone. drops quickly to base idle speed while slowing to a stop. and cleaned up alot of the cam surge i had. 242/252 on 110+4 cam.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:18 AM
Super Hulk Smash

I've found the follower to be good for partial throttle drivability as it keeps the surge out of it when you barely crack the throttle plate. Cracker helps when you take your foot off the gas or reduce down to 1-2% tps.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by SS69LS1
Some good stuff here. Although i have no tuning software, it helps a lot to understand whats going on and how many parameters there are. I just never thought I'd be going thru all this w 8 deg of overlap. After dealing with it for 6 months and having to wait for my busy tuner to get an opening, it may push me to buy the software.
8 degrees is a lot compared to stock (-34.5, not a typo). Buying the stuff for one car - may or may not be worth it. Up to you. The second car and every car after pays for itself
Old 08-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Default Update

Just picked the car up from the tuner and apparently "the car didn't act up for them". I started the car with them standing there about 4 times and nothing. Drove it home and had zero issues, started it right after and what do you know hello 1500 idle. It comes down in about 5 seconds and will do that a few more times. I'm honestly going to take the car somewhere else to have it figured out. I really do not wanna pay someone 500 for new tune. Maybe I will just tell them the story and say I just need this off idle fixed. Now does anyone know of any places in Illinois that could possibly get this thing figured out for me. I am contemplating unplugging my iac like someone said and leave the car alone for now. I did have one thought but idk if it would have anything to do with it maybe you guys would know better. First off I cleaned out the intake with brake cleaner with the sensor that's in back still in there. Could I have messed that up? Also second thought I did an ls6 Valley cover also did comps trunion upgrade, my passenger side valve cover would not go on with out touching the rockers. So I took both plastic baffles out where the vacuum lines hook up the rear port is now unused, but the front port goes to the top of my throttle body could that be causing my problem?
Old 08-26-2015, 07:49 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Can you post your tune and a log of what it's doing at 1500?

This is why it's worth it to invest in the software. Even if you get it professionally tuned, you can log problems and get help a lot faster.

Like I had a MAP problem with my brand new MAP... guess what? The bolts holding the FAST down were coming lose, so unmetered air was leaking in causing the MAP to read weird. I found that with HPTuners.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:17 PM

I torqued my LSXR to 80 in/lbs and left it overnight. Next day, it took another half turn to reach 80 in/lbs again.
Jake: do you have your MAP at the front or back of the LSXR?

As JakeFusion says, having HP Tuners, EFI Live or at least a good scanner is essential for debugging some of these problems.

I wonder if your PCM is not always reading the closed throttle at 0%. This could cause the Throttle Cracker to kick in and raise your RPMs. Straight forward to check when it happens with the right tools. Not even a good tuner can always fix an intermittent problem.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I have in the front. Didn't fit well enough in the rear.

I have blue loctite on those bolts too...
Old 08-27-2015, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Can you post your tune and a log of what it's doing at 1500?

This is why it's worth it to invest in the software. Even if you get it professionally tuned, you can log problems and get help a lot faster.

Like I had a MAP problem with my brand new MAP... guess what? The bolts holding the FAST down were coming lose, so unmetered air was leaking in causing the MAP to read weird. I found that with HPTuners.

Heres all i have on the dyno sheet. I talked to another guy last night thats good with ls cars. Im going to drop it off to him next week. What kind of software should i look at amd buy. Now that the car isnt stock like you said it be very helpful to have
Old 08-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Super Hulk Smash

HPT is more cost effective. EFILive does more. But for diagnostics and tune tweaks, HPT is more than enough.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

HPT is more cost effective. EFILive does more. But for diagnostics and tune tweaks, HPT is more than enough.
What more does it do?

Quick Reply: Intermittent high idle