PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0l L98 E38 ECM + fault codes: No start or run

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0l L98 E38 ECM + fault codes: No start or run

I’m having a really tough time getting this thing to run after a swap to BMW chassis.

I’ve scanned the ECM and have double checked all wiring - verified the positive and ignition wires to the three terminals, ground is present and installed the 100 ohm resister to X1-52 to starter relay as suggested elsewhere on this forums. Don't think anything needs doing, or am I missing something??

My fault codes are –
P0807 Clutch position sensor Circuit Low
P0230 Fuel pump primary circuit malfunction
P0463 Fuel level sensor circuit high input
P0268 Fuel level sensor circuit low input

I’m guessing the start/r run inhibit is to do with either of the first two codes, assuming of course VATS have been effectively disabled by my mechanic??

I’ve wired three external relays - fuel pump, start and main relay.

Any thought welcome please as I'm new to the GM platform and am about to put a match to this project.

Thanks!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2016, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to disable VATS and the starter relay protection. Disabling both will bypass all security and let you start the engine always.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:20 AM

Thanks for the reply, I had thought VATS but having paid for it to be disabled, started doubting myself to have done the obvious. I've emailed the tech, he is coming round next week to have another look at it. I'll post an update - hopefully we get it running.

Last edited by theBFG; 08-18-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theBFG
Thanks for the reply, I had thought VATS but having paid for it to be disabled, started doubting myself to have done the obvious. I've emailed the tech, he is coming round next week to have another look at it. I'll post an update - hopefully we get it running.
Those codes shouldn't affect the engine starting, provided the fuel pump is running. Are you using the ECM to trigger the fuel pump, or just a relay attached to a switch 12 v source?

Is it starting....runnning then dying? Or not starting at all?
Old 08-19-2016, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by casias
Those codes shouldn't affect the engine starting, provided the fuel pump is running. Are you using the ECM to trigger the fuel pump, or just a relay attached to a switch 12 v source?

Is it starting....runnning then dying? Or not starting at all?

Not running at all, there is no spark. I've wired the starter relay through the BMW DME to retain some security and atm the fuel pump is simply wired to IgnV but I'll move it to the ECM fuel pump output X1-50 when it eventually runs...same for the main relay control.

I've got 12V on X1-52 Starter Relay Coil Control, but 0V on X1-50 Fuel pump and X1-59 Main Relay Control...

Thanks for confirming these fault codes wont inhibit running - its restored a bit of my sanity!!

The tech is coming out next week to hopefully get it running. I'm pretty sure now that it is VATS related...
Old 08-19-2016, 06:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should start even with vats enabled, but it will shut off in a few seconds.

Is your switched power to the ECM start/run or accessory switched. If you grabbed that signal from inside the cab, most of the time accessories will switch on, but shut off during cranking to aid battery power. So check this circuit while the engine is cranking.

IF this is happening, your ECM is shutting off during cranking, hence it won't start. (Ask me how I know ).

Also. Check my recent thread for the steps I went through to solve my problem. I just wasted many hours on this, so I know what you are going through.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...won-t-run.html

Last edited by casias; 08-19-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by casias
Those codes shouldn't affect the engine starting...

I bit of feedback - this comment had me thinking that it may be something else so I decided to recheck everything I had done...I found the two sensor wires for the BDW had been swapped over.

Strange the scanner did not pick it up as a fault. I guess the lesson here is not all scanners are created equal!
I now have a decent tool to replace that cheap eBay Elm scanner.

The wiring solution for the E38 ECM to E46 DBW pedal (in case somebody else needs it):

A - Low Reference sensor 2 (X1-23) PUTO BMW PIN 1
B - APP Sensor 2 Signal (X1-32) TO BMWPIN 6
C - 5-Volt Reference 1 (X1-56) TO BMWPIN 5
D - Low Reference sensor 1 (X1-30) TOBMW PIN 2
E - APP Sensor 1 Signal (X1-29) TO BMWPIN 4
F - 5-Volt Reference 2 (X1-36) TO BMWPIN 3

Thanks all for the useful input!!

Last edited by theBFG; 09-13-2016 at 02:50 AM.

Quick Reply: 6.0l L98 E38 ECM + fault codes: No start or run