PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there better ls1 knock sensors out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Are there better ls1 knock sensors out there?

Having my engine freshened up. 9.5:1 370 ci turbo engine. 20psi, about 1000 crank hp, etc.

One of my knock sensors was totally frozen and I broke it getting it out. The harness was repaired at one point and other sensor has a bunch of corrosion.

Basically perfect time for 2 new sensors and a harness.

Do they make better sensors? More sensitive or anything like that?

If not where is a good place to get a kit with both sensor and harness?

Thanks
Alex
Old 02-21-2017, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually just get knock sensors from the local autoparts store, they are common to gen 3 motors and some others, and most autoparts stores have them in stock. They are about as common as spark plugs and O2 sensors. The harness is another issue, I'd probably just make one? It is pretty simple. I know you can order the sensor connectors at autoparts stores on line, they are not a unique part, many other vehicles use the same connectors even some of the Japanese makes use that same connector.

You don't want more sensitive knock sensors though, I normally have to turn the sensitivity down when I've tuned high hp cars, they have a lot more NVH, and you tend to get false knock with standard sensors, and it pulls timing when it doesn't need to. Cars with aftermarket K members and solid rod ends on the A arms tend to create false knock too. Even an exhaust pipe hitting against something it shouldn't has caused knock to be shown by the sensors for me in the past. You can usually tell when it is false, because it comes at a time when you wouldn't normally expect to see knock.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok good to know thanks.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I only use original GM knock sensors and always get good results. No false knock even on turbo cars with solid motor mounts, and they are cheap
Old 02-23-2017, 05:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will say in the auto repair world if you buy the cheap sensor and harness usually they usually screw up and I will no longer install them. I get from chevy. you will not have any problems.. they get corroded cause people rince ot spray off their engines and spraying the intake which allows the water to fill the knock sensor holes. once you get new knock sensor's and harness and connected add some sealant around edge before installing rubber plug to seal off knock sensort never had any issue afterwards

Quick Reply: Are there better ls1 knock sensors out there?