Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical + PCM gurus.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Electrical + PCM gurus.......

If I have a 13" fan attached to my condensor that I want to have running from engine start till the car reaches 45mph.

Can this be done through the PCM.....or is there another way to do it so its automatically being done.....?

Thanks...

Old 03-20-2017, 06:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Assuming your asking about the WS6 in your signature, then yes. The factory already does this with the fans. They shut off around 35mph with AC off and 65mph with AC on.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Assuming your asking about the WS6 in your signature, then yes. The factory already does this with the fans. They shut off around 35mph with AC off and 65mph with AC on.
You're kidding...? Ok cool.

But the fans also operate according to temps. So are you saying they really will just turn off at 65mph to let the ram air cooling take over? I never heard of the 35mph fans "ON" thing......

So how would I connect the additional 3rd fan thats attached to the condensor to operate by that 35mph/65mph speed schedule?

Is this something any good dyno tuner can do for me....?

Last edited by LS6427; 03-21-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

You dont need fans on most if not any vehicle after 40 mph or so.. the oncoming air provides way more cooling than your fans... the fans on become a restriction at that point.. hence why theyre setup to shut off. The fans also consider the temperature.

So if the engine is at 200 degrees F, below say 40 mph (depends n tune) then fans will be on, if u pass 40 mph and engine is still at 200 *.. they will shut off.

To wire in a 3rd fan, use the fan signal pin wire to activate a relay to power your 3rd fan.. you can get it frm fan 1 or fan 2 and tune accordingly.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just like subone said. The fans are turned on by temp but are turned off my mph regardless of temp from the factory.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by subeone
You dont need fans on most if not any vehicle after 40 mph or so.. the oncoming air provides way more cooling than your fans... the fans on become a restriction at that point.. hence why theyre setup to shut off. The fans also consider the temperature.

So if the engine is at 200 degrees F, below say 40 mph (depends n tune) then fans will be on, if u pass 40 mph and engine is still at 200 *.. they will shut off.

To wire in a 3rd fan, use the fan signal pin wire to activate a relay to power your 3rd fan.. you can get it frm fan 1 or fan 2 and tune accordingly.
Thats what I thought the process was.....the fans would go off at around 35mph.....not 65mph. And of course...temp would be the master and turn them on any time a certain temp was reached.

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Just like subone said. The fans are turned on by temp but are turned off my mph regardless of temp from the factory.
Awesome....thanks for the info.

I think if the fan I put onto my A/C condensor would do great if it operated along with the dual radiator fans.....after 35-40mph they all 3 turn off, and rely on ram air cooling.

BUT......is it possible to make just the condensor fan always come on BELOW 35-40mph....regardless of coolant temp.....?

Old 03-23-2017, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Thats what I thought the process was.....the fans would go off at around 35mph.....not 65mph. And of course...temp would be the master and turn them on any time a certain temp was reached.

Awesome....thanks for the info.

I think if the fan I put onto my A/C condensor would do great if it operated along with the dual radiator fans.....after 35-40mph they all 3 turn off, and rely on ram air cooling.

BUT......is it possible to make just the condensor fan always come on BELOW 35-40mph....regardless of coolant temp.....?

No there is no way to control a 3rd fan independently from the other 2 existing fans via the stock pcm. You can get a standalone fan controller for what you want to do, or a standalone controller like holley efi, ms3 pro, BS3, aem, motec etc
Old 03-25-2017, 02:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by subeone
No there is no way to control a 3rd fan independently from the other 2 existing fans via the stock pcm. You can get a standalone fan controller for what you want to do, or a standalone controller like holley efi, ms3 pro, BS3, aem, motec etc
Ok...or with my current PCM, I can run the 3rd fan exactly along with the main 2 fans.....correct?

Quick Reply: Electrical + PCM gurus.......