PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Few tuning questions with hptuner...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Few tuning questions with hptuner...

ok so ive been using for a week now got a few things down but still lost on others.

1) i went to the track and ran a few logging passes heres what i came up with. at wot ltfts= 3.9 kr is averaging 2-3 above 3k. timing advance averages 23 through the 8th mile pass and o2's are at 900. this was with iat at 103 and ect at 220. i know too high i need a 160 thermostat. but after i got back i scaled my ifr vs. kpa table. is this the right table to tune these to ltfts to negative. well after scaling .98 three times i finally got them to go to zero at wot. but now my part throttle ltfts are between 3-6 when they used to be in the neg. what can i do or is this ok? and is that a good advance? i have no clue of what is good timing on an ls1..

2)i have my limiter set at 6300 and my shifts at 6000. would it be safe to go higher on stock vavlesprings with 80k on them?

3)does anyone else have a shift kit with hptuner as well? id like to know if i can adjust shift firmness even though i have a shift kit. for some reason i have hard shifts at part but at wot i have kind of a stall period during the 1-2 shift?

4)heres some noob questions. can someone destinguish when open and closed loop happen and what they mean. i think it means the o2's are bypassed at wot but im not sure. also explain smoothing. ive heard people use this alot but i still learning the lingo. thanks for all your help. everyone has made me learn a ton in this lil amount of time.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. have you done anything to the timing?? 3.9* KR is way too high. If you havent then you are running really lean.

2. Real question is are you going to gain anything by going higher??

3. I think this is the best way to do it, shift kit then fine tune in software. If your getting a stalling in between shifting it might be slipage.

4. Closed loop is when the ECT is up and the O2 sensors are giving vaild readings.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ataylors
1. have you done anything to the timing?? 3.9* KR is way too high. If you havent then you are running really lean.

2. Real question is are you going to gain anything by going higher??

3. I think this is the best way to do it, shift kit then fine tune in software. If your getting a stalling in between shifting it might be slipage.

4. Closed loop is when the ECT is up and the O2 sensors are giving vaild readings.

thanks for the info. im sure i have adjusted the ltft's wrong so i went back to my original ltft settings. they were reading positive at partial and all the ft's short and long were at 0 during wot. they stayed at zero with no fluxuation. i wish someone could explain what im doin wrong. i dont know what other table to modify other than the ifr vs kpa? is this the right one?

btw. i havent done anything to the timing. the only adjustments ive made are fan temp settings, shift time vs rpm, and ifr vs. kpa.

Last edited by nitrousfed; 07-18-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can distinguish between open and closed loop in a log file by looking at what fuel trim cell you're in. 20 is cold idle, 21 is decel, 22 is WOT. Those are the three open loop cells.

Also, look at the ltft and stft histograms. Then you see what the ltrims are doing at different manifold pressures. Then you can edit specific cells in the ifr table rather than scaling the whole thing.