Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator or Vinci????

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator or Vinci????

My '99 LS1 Trans Am has no aftermarket improvements. I have no plans to change cams, converters or any internal modifications. I have ruled out the Hypertech so which one would you go with between Predator and Vinci? I may put a new exhaust system (Flowmaster) and a new induction system back to and including the throttle body sometime. Which one has more tuning potential for both stock and aftermarket?

Thanks,
Peabody Holdaway
Old 09-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Never hear of the Vinci personally and I've never had any experience with a Predator when I had my LS1. I do have a Predator for my '03 Cobra however. They can't be all that different. IMO, they aren't worth the money. The datalogging features are nice. The tuning features are so poor I don't even consider using them. I have a custom tune uploaded to my Predator then go from there.

HTH,

Dan
Old 09-20-2004, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Default Vinci

I have the Vinci and I can vouch for its tuning capabilities. I havent gotten into fooling around with A/F ratios yet but I did install the Vinci Stock Cam Performance Tune on my car and also the shift performance program. My car has 2.73s and the shift performance package really woke up the car. There are I think 4 or 5 different tunes preprogrammed into the unit. The one I installed was for stock cam and the others are for aftermarket cams. You can install the others with a stock cam but Im not sure how the performance would be.
Joe Vinci will personally spend time with you if you have any questions. I was on the phone with him one day for 30 minutes having him tell me the features of the unit. It sounds like Vinci waited and found out what people didnt like about the HPP3 and Predator and came out with a very nice handheld tuning device.
Just click their banner and there is plenty of information about their handheld.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

here's a tutrorial i made up for them http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm i picked up .2 and 1.4 mph with the hiperf/stock cam program +10% timing in my 00 formula. only mods at the time were SLP airlid and QTP electric cutout.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:01 AM
Teching In

I don't know if it is engine performance or shifting performance or maybe a combination of both but, before I used the Vinci tuner my car would scratch going into 2nd (Auto) now my car actually rolls the tires going into second. I actually turned shift firmness off because for everyday driving it was a bit extreme. Also my car seems to run smoother. Going by SOTP dyno, I woukd say a gain of 15-20 HP or so.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

the shifting firmness and shift point did that. i took out the shift points so it wouldn't jerk my head each shift either. for a stock converter, the both together is a little violent.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just wish they had one for a 98 Corvette???
Old 09-21-2004, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

soon. they are working as fast as they can in getting the 98 squared away.