Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Occasional stalling after Converter install

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Occasional stalling after Converter install

A few weeks ago I had a built 4l60e and TCS 4200 stall converter installed in the WS6. I have the shift points adjusted pretty good now and isn't bad to drive everyday to work. The only remaining issue is she'll occasionally stall or act like she wants to stall. She's only actually stalled twice, both times I had her in reverse, and she would stall as soon as I was finished backing up and was switching my foot from the gas to the brake. She'll surge and then act like she wants to stall if I'm coasting along where she's slowly rolling, but I'm not giving her any gas (for example..in traffic). Basically the rpm's will bounce between ~1100 and ~400 until they finally level out. She wasn't too bad about wanting to stall at first..but it's been getting worse and I want to get the darn tune figured out. I've read about other people having similar issues...and the replies were always, have it tuned, and the problem will go away. I did find one post with some advice on what to adjust, but it was relating to HPTuners..and I'm tuning in LS1Edit.

Can anyone help me? What tables do I need to adjust in edit? Do I just need to raise the idle speed or are there other settings that need to be adjusted? (I'm still trying to learn all these tuning tricks as the converter is the 1st mod to either car that really required any major tuning.)

Thanks for the help!
Old 12-20-2004, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

I would just try the idle relearn procedure first. Usually that will fix the reverse stalling problem.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

You might want to bump the idle up about 5 to 10 RPM's. That's what fixed mine.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had the same problem when I put my Vig3200 in, reverse it would struggle so I bumped my idle in gear from 132º and up to 700rpm from stock 550 and it's been great ... it's under engine - IDLE + LIMITERS, IDLE SPEED in gear
Old 12-21-2004, 05:13 AM
TECH Addict

you are going to spend alot of time tuning MANY of the idle tables/airflow/timing/timing in park/fuel etc to get those right, or you can bump up the TB butterfly open screw a little or you may just have to raise the idle.

I did all of the above. The only time i get idle surge is when i crossover 2mph to the throttle cracker table havent gotten around to it, during COLD 20-40F starts. After about 30 seconds of driving it evens out.

Make sure you up the a/c idle even higher or you'll find you'll stall when ABS braking which can be dangerous. I strongly suggest you try it, do a nice 40mph ABS stop and if she stalls, you could in be for a world of hurt.