Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Megasquirt EFI

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Megasquirt EFI

Has anyone had any experience with this megasquirt efi system i've heard about? thanks.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Yes, read Parish8's posts (search for "Megasquirt" on this board) - he detailed pretty well what needs to be done for a fuel only install, and we're working on the complete Fuel & Ignition setup using EDIS very shortly.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

I just don't understand why anyone would do this. The resolution on the Megasquirt is very low. Am I missing something? Is there something that you can't do with HP Tuners or LS1 edit that you can with the Mega?

Andrew
Old 12-16-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's some people using them in older (late 80's) BMW's over on e30tech. Gives them some more capability for bigger injectors, cams, etc. since there is no readily available tuning package for those. Lets them upgrade to a hotwire maf sensor too instead of the flap type on those cars.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I undersatnd why people would use them on any number of vehicles, but I don't see why anyone would use it on an LSx.

Andrew
Old 12-16-2004, 08:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think many underestimate the power of the stock GM PCM. No other system I have seen can even come close to the accuracy, resolution and pure processing power that is found inside of the factory computer in these vehicles.

A properly tuned GM PCM has the potential to out perform and out operate in both driveability and adjustability required for various weather conditions than any other solution I have seen.

- Keith, HP Tuners
Old 12-16-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Magnus
I think many underestimate the power of the stock GM PCM. No other system I have seen can even come close to the accuracy, resolution and pure processing power that is found inside of the factory computer in these vehicles.

A properly tuned GM PCM has the potential to out perform and out operate in both driveability and adjustability required for various weather conditions than any other solution I have seen.

- Keith, HP Tuners
That is exactly what I am saying.

Andrew
Old 12-16-2004, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Well, I need something that i can tune with a laptop. Also, it's for a BBC project in a trans am. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Transam427
it's for a BBC project in a trans am.
In that case (since it's not an LS1) I'll go ahead and mention there is a group buy going on e30tech for the megasquirt until Jan 5 or 6, if you're interested...
Old 12-17-2004, 10:29 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

When you guys say "EDIS" do you mean the FAST eDist product? Are you converting to a 4x signal then? The factory pcm is a 24x signal which is great. The new LS2 stuff in the C5 is 58X.

I don't have a problem with that GP since nobody carries it and I hear it's basically freeware.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

the megasquirt is a cheap subsitute for when you surpass your MAF limit, and allow you to run low impedance injectors, it also lets you adjust on the fly.

HPT is currently working on another way to tune when you pass the MAF which in my opinion will be an easier way.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
the megasquirt is a cheap subsitute for when you surpass your MAF limit, and allow you to run low impedance injectors, it also lets you adjust on the fly.

HPT is currently working on another way to tune when you pass the MAF which in my opinion will be an easier way.

Low impedence injectors would be used for this project so thats good, can you still use the stock cpu to run the signals and all that other stuff?
Old 12-17-2004, 11:06 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I just don't understand why anyone would do this. The resolution on the Megasquirt is very low. Am I missing something? Is there something that you can't do with HP Tuners or LS1 edit that you can with the Mega?

Andrew
are you talking about the ve resolution? the mega software i am using has a 12x12 ve table BUT there are way more than 144points on the table. mega will extrapolate any value between 2 cells. the resolution is extremely high if you ask me.

max out your maf and max out the highest high imp injectors you can get then come back and ask why anyone would use mega. for $200 i no longer have those 2 problems and i can tune my truck in mere minutes.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:31 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mmmmmm I haven't played with the injector drivers in the LS Series PCM. I know in my GN, its a matter of replacing the injector drivers. I'm driving around on the street with 72#ers right now... Of course one of the things I have been discussing with folks is not using big injectors on a driver. Since you have to cut the injector PW down so much to get drivability, some folks seem to think you should go with a much smaller injector for your driving, and simply add a second set of injectors, or a couple of big injectors for WOT fueling... I know we did it on the GN's for a long time, but I can see the merits when you get into the really big injectors...

As for Maxing out the MAF, well, we are doing Speed Density in the GN's with a very limited PCM. I would think you could do the same for the LSx. If boost is an issue, swap in a 3 bar map sensor, and go crazy...

I could see doing it in an older PCM where you don't have tuning options... I don't know if I'd do it in a current car... But thats just me.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:02 AM
single digit dreamer

as far as i know there is still no way to use the stock pcm with a 3 bar map sensor. i know hp tuners is about to release something that is suppose to work.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:39 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by parish8
as far as i know there is still no way to use the stock pcm with a 3 bar map sensor. i know hp tuners is about to release something that is suppose to work.
It would require making certain changes to the tables, and you would loose some resolution, but, I can't see what a 3 bar wouldn't work. Keep in mind that a 1 bar - 4 bar all look the the same physically. The only difference is that the output voltage range is the same, and that the "sweep" is much greater when you get into a 3 bar over say a 1 bar.

In other words 0-5V in a 1 bar cover 0 - 14.7 . 0-5V in a 3 bar covers 0 - 44.1 so, the delta on voltage is different. So, your PCM would need to be adjusted to account for those variation....

You could replace a 1 bar or 2 bar with a 3 or 4 bar, the issue would be the output voltage. This is the same isseu we run into, in the GN world with our MAF. We swap in a MAF from an LS1 and the output voltage, and range is a lot different, so we have to use a MAF translater to get the job done, or have a chip burned that understand the differneces. Or, now we can go SD...
Old 12-18-2004, 10:58 AM
single digit dreamer

still, as far as i know no one is doing what you are talking about. i understand you can put in any sensor you want and it will still give a 0-5v out.

i have tried several things to get the stock pcm to work including just tuning with PEvsRPM and trying a maf translator and lieing about the airflow then lieing about the injector size. even tuning when the maf is not maxed out takes some time but when it is maced and you make changes then you have to do more tuning.

i have 1/10th the time in doing the mega including tuning then i have trying to tune without it. it is a huge timesaver being able to tune on the fly and not having a maf limit.

there are a few ways to get by above 60lb's of air. i have tried the guesing and mega is way worth it over that. dont know for sure what hp tuners has coming out but the tidbits i know about sound interesting.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

heh... People are using both 2 bar MAP sensors and 3 bar MAP sensors in stock pcm's..

Old 12-18-2004, 06:50 PM
single digit dreamer

Originally Posted by Magnus
heh... People are using both 2 bar MAP sensors and 3 bar MAP sensors in stock pcm's..

link me
Old 12-18-2004, 07:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/YaBB.p...num=1103180232