PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Megasquirt EFI

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 08:00 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

looks sweet, that is a prety new feature then? or have people been doing this for awhile. is this common?

reason i ask is i have been looking for a way around the maf limit for awhile and no one was really talking about this route.

it is nice to have options.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ my understanding is that HP Tuners has been beta testing 2 and 3 bar for a while... AFAIK no one else offers this on a stock PCM ....
Old 12-18-2004, 08:19 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by horist
^^^ my understanding is that HP Tuners has been beta testing 2 and 3 bar for a while... AFAIK no one else offers this on a stock PCM ....
i see, from the "huh" comment i thought maybe i was just out of the loop but it seems this is a new thing.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnus
I think many underestimate the power of the stock GM PCM. No other system I have seen can even come close to the accuracy, resolution and pure processing power that is found inside of the factory computer in these vehicles.

A properly tuned GM PCM has the potential to out perform and out operate in both driveability and adjustability required for various weather conditions than any other solution I have seen.

- Keith, HP Tuners
What processor is in the GM PCM, anyways? I'd like to know... the Megasquirt is a Motorola HC-series chip that is used in a lot of Active Stability and Antilock Brake systems.

Megasquirt benefits, as I see them, are:
(1) Tuning ease - simpler than reconfiguring stock PCMs
(2) Cost - amazing bang for the buck!
(3) Once you've gotten it working, you are very EFI-knowledgable
(4) Runs any impedance injector easily

Megasquirt negatives:
(1) You have to learn a little more about EFI, electronics, etc. The curve is only slightly steeper than installing & tuning your own full standalone. There is an EXCELLENT "mega manual" for learning everything you need to know - you only need to be able to read & comprehend.

(2) It's an open source project, so there's an upside AND a downside because new features are always being added, but it can be difficult to find the best software version for you to run. That being said, I STILL prefer open source to closed source - there are people who've bought expensive standalones that have been dealing with major bugs because the software vendor hasn't released updates yet... If I were paying $1500+ for a system that had a flaw, this is a major problem...

As far as the "resolution" concerns - I just cannot see how this is an issue. Being able to select which RPM and MAP points you are editing, then having the computer interpolate all points in betwen each map/RPM intersection, allows you to build a map so perfect it will make your head spin. Jim's 4.8, after less than 2 hours of tuning, ran as good as the factory PCM. You couldn't tell the difference. 1 hour with the 408 and it was running about 90% perfect (I define perfect as how it runs off the showroom floor - twist the key and it starts immediately, doesn't surge at idle, doesn't hiccup when you slam the throttle open).

Someone also asked about "EDIS." This refers to the Ford EDIS used on most Ford vehicles from the mid 90s to present. Megasquirt software has been written to decode the 36-1 toothed EDIS wheel so common to Ford vehicles, and control the EDIS module (4, 6, and 8 cylinder engines) so you get a very inexpensive crank-triggered ignition system that's robust and adaptable to just about any 2- or 4-stroke spark ignition engine out there...

-scott
Old 12-19-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselgeek
What processor is in the GM PCM, anyways? I'd like to know... the Megasquirt is a Motorola HC-series chip that is used in a lot of Active Stability and Antilock Brake systems.
The LS1 VCM's use a Motorola 68332 processor which is the same used in the EFI332 project which was the predecessor to the Megasquirt project. It was a bit more complicated to program and build so Bruce and Al started the Megasquirt project so that users who wanted a standalone EFI system could understand it much easier.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also for HPT conserning the 2 or 3 bar, the resoulution is increased.