Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which settings for hypertech

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which settings for hypertech

just bought a 2000 pontiac transam today and the guy has the Hypertech Power Programmer and said that its all uploaded. i was wondering what is the best options that i can change to get the best result. its stock except for an aftermarket ram air hood and Power Max cat-back exhaust. what shifting points should i change. the car is auto. with the 2.73 gears
Old 12-26-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the shift firmness is a personal preference really... all it's doing is forcing a higher commanded line pressure during a shift ... 100% will be the most firm but allso has the higher possibly of negative effects on the transmission

I'd start at 50% firm

As for shift points... hard to tell unless you have a scan of what your car is shifting at now... (not what hte Tach says but what it's actually shifting at logged via a logging software)

I would leave the Rev Limiter alone ... When I was new into this scene I made the mistake of upping my rev limiter and my shift points to get the most RPMs... the stock valve springs don't like that much heh

The Hypertech Power Programming is hit or miss... it leans the car out and ups the timing basically... (plus it copies the high octane timing advance tables to the low octane tables, leaving little the PCM can do in case it detects real knock)

If the MAF Sensor is 100% stock (no ported MAF ends, stock screen still in) you *may* pick up a little power from the hypertech tune... but it may also push you over the line into a "too lean" condition...

Best bet is to try the hypertech programming at the track on 2 runs and see which is best (given similar 60 foots) ... (even better if you can get a scanner for the car, log the timing, knock, O2 sensors, etc... to see how the car likes it)

The shift points are hard to set unless you know what exact RPM it shifts at now... if I recall from the time my car was stock... it would short shift the 1-2 shift , so wouldn't hurt to bump that up 1-2mph ... if you bang the rev limiter then go down 1 mph
Old 12-26-2004, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fwiw you can't do much with those pieces of ****. i wouldn't touch anything but shift firmness/ shift points. if you really care about tuning- hptuners is where it is at. if you are not as worried about it, just leave in the stock tune till you need a real tune. if you have that hpp3 tune in there and somebody tries to tune it when it is needed it could mess them up/ throw them off.

Quick Reply: which settings for hypertech