Sponsored by:

Trails and tribulations with AutoTap Software…Good Ending, Long

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trails and tribulations with AutoTap Software…Good Ending, Long

Guys,

I just wanted to tell you about my trails and tribulations with getting my used AutoTap software to work and how well the AutoTap service department treated me.

I purchased a used version of AutoTap AT1 software from a member of LS1tech.com and bought a used laptop from my friend’s wife in late November. I tried to run it on my truck as soon as I received it, but I couldn’t get it to connect. So I downloaded the newer version of the software to see if that would help my situation, unfortunately I still couldn’t get the computer to link up with the AutoTap hardware. My next attempts included trying it on different vehicles and loading the software on a newer laptop. All attempts were unsuccessful.

I called AutoTap and spoke to their customer service representative Joe Ebner. I told him about my troubles and all of my failed attempts to make the software work. Joe promptly told me to not worry about it and to send the unit in for FREE repair or FREE replacement. I was so surprised that this company was so willing to fix their product even though I bought it used and it was close to 3 years old. A few weeks later Joe emails me and said my hardware module was defective and he was going to replace it with one that tested well.

I received the repaired unit about 1.5 weeks ago, but I was unable to test it on my truck until last Sunday (the weather finally broke). I went to my truck to run the software but I had the same problems. I just couldn’t get the laptop to connect to the AutoTap hardware. I then tried it on another computer and another vehicle; both attempts resulted in a non-connection.

I call Joe on Tuesday and we discovered the problem after some time on the phone with him coaching me along. It turns out that the internal modem in the laptop was preventing the software from accessing the serial port. I disabled the modem and all of my connection problems disappeared.

So in summary, Autotap stands behind their product even if you buy it used. Joe Ebner is one hell of a guy and will go out of his way to help the customer out. I haven’t had a chance to go through the software, but I’m sure it will do everything I want it to do (as far as reading codes and performing some logging). For the people who thinking AutoTap might fit their requirements for diagnostic software, I recommend it highly. You just can’t lose with their customer service.

Thanks AutoTap and Joe Ebner

Jeffrey Darbig