PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air temperature module upgrade necesary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air temperature module upgrade necesary?

at the rksport website they have Air Temperature Module upgrade that claims a 5-7hp increase (heres the page). this piece is only 25 bucks

ORDER ORDER, yes 25 bucks for 5-7hp. can this be true? has anyone used this or have any insight into it?
Old 04-02-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Search is your friend. Don't buy "air temp modules". If you really want to try it, go to radio shack and buy the equivalent resistor and see how your car runs. $1 is a lot better than what those stupid modules go for. I have tried different resistors on different cars. Sometimes you have decent results, sometimes you don't. But it is just a resistor. a 4.7k 1/2 watt or 1/4 watt (I prefer 1/2) will work just fine (there are other resistances that are used, but that is the most common one I used to use). All you do is bend the ends in a U, clip to the right size, insert it in the socket in place of the sensor (leave the sensor unplugged, but still in the hole in your intake), and put electrical tape over the resistor so water does not get in. Voila. "Air temp module" for $1.

The stock sensor is just a thermistor. If you were bored you could modify the wiring to the stock one, or even make your own sensor using a different thermistor.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's a joke... I can't believe people actually sell these on ebay for outrageous amounts (If I didn't have a conscious I would ... but that damn thing won't let me) ... much less big name companies....
Old 04-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Teching In

Default air temp sensor

Can anyone advise the difference in performance between :-
a) stock sensor (thermistor)
b) 4.7K resistor
c) no sensor or resistor
There must be some technical reason for fitting a thermistor as stock.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

no sensor or resistor = ses light

Really I see no gains out of changing it. If you look at the IAT timing modifier table it doesn't change much based on temp, if IAT's get really high it'll add fuel.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2004tr
Can anyone advise the difference in performance between :-
a) stock sensor (thermistor)
b) 4.7K resistor
c) no sensor or resistor
There must be some technical reason for fitting a thermistor as stock.
Thermistor is to adjust fuel and spark based on air temp. Particularly during times when your VE table, SD is used.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Another_User
Thermistor is to adjust fuel and spark based on air temp. Particularly during times when your VE table, SD is used.
ve table?
sd?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaudeKeep
ve table?
sd?
Volumetric Efficiency , Speed Density ... tuning terms

The IAT Tricker (resistor, POS, whatever you wanna call it) tricks the PCM into thinking that the air coming intot he airbox is cooler than it really is ... thus the PCM won't pull any timing (it normally will pull timing when very high... 120+. ... degree air is entering the motor, it also does some things w/the fuel when the incoming air charge is very hot)

It's not really worth buying the expensive kits and stuff... best off buying a resistor from radio shack if you *must* do this... I wouldn't however ... the timing and fueling items it modifies are meant to protect the engine... hot incoming air charge = greater chance of pre-ignition/detonation