PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Altenators dead in 3 weeks! help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3 Altenators dead in 3 weeks! help please!

Well i had a post about 3 weeks ago about this problem and there was some ideas and i checked them all. So i put a new one on and it seemed to work fine. Till today. Im drivin around for about 10 minutes and when im comin back home i see teh check gauges light come on, and the volt gauge is at 12.

I have checked every wire under the hood and near the fuel pump and i dont see anything at all causing a problem. I re-did alot of connections to make sure no issues were hiddin within the tapeand connectors. All of them looks good.

So im lost. the stock alt went after 6 years of hard drivin. Seeing redline a couple times a day. So i have no issue with the stocker goin as it did its time. The second alt lasted 10 minutes. This caused concern and i checked all wires and find nothing. Change the alt and get 3 weeks out of it. All the time im checkin the volt meter to see if its where it shoudl be, and it is.

I did notice that the altenator has a lot of black on the front of it. Kinda looks like soot or the like. The only electrical mods i have to the car is a wideband o2, the pusher fans, and the meth kit(which i have yet to use). Hope yall can help me out!
Old 08-05-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Soot is from your belt, its slipping. What kind of alternators are you buying?
Replace it with a GM piece. Autozone, pep boys alternators are junk and go bad real fast.
J
Old 08-05-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

it is an ac delco. You think that the belt slippin coudl cause this issue? I have the fans runnin almost all the time while the car is runnin. This sux.

John
Old 08-05-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure your powersteering hose isn't leaking into the alternator. I had a very small leak and it caused the alternator to go out 3 times in a months time, until the pressure hose totally blew, then I figured out that was the problem. Replaced hose and alternator and all is fine now.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

My altenator is relocated cause the turbo headers go through wher it used to be. The alt looks brand new save for the black on teh front of it. *sigh*

John
Old 08-05-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

ne1 else?

John
Old 08-05-2005, 11:52 PM
...with cheese.

if your alternator is relocated to the head like yours, is the back of the alternator grounding on something? are you burning the wiring up inside of it because of this? Triple check the back and make sure there isn't anything close to touching the back. The whole thing sees a charge, if it stays grounded in the wrong places I have no doubt it would fry one pretty quick.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe your belt is slipping to much? I know the first one I got started to slip and then it jumped right off while I was on my way home from work. I put a smaller one on and so far everything is good.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i have never seen the vlot meter drop at all to signify that i was slippin soo much that it was causein issues with power. I do have to figure out a new way to tighten the belt, as the stock tensioner isnt cuttin it. Thanks for the help. Ill be under the car tonight trying to find the issue.

John
Old 08-06-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my take on it. Even though your battery will start the car it's not capable of holding a full charge. Because of this it's constantly signaling the alternator to put out max amperage. NO modern alt. is capable of doing that, it'll simply burn up. Take your battery to a place capable of properly load testing it.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

charge the battery or get a new one and that will solve the problem
Old 08-07-2005, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

if it's the original battery (6 years old) x2