Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best ET with 100% stock Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best ET with 100% stock Trans Am

What kind of performance could I expect out of keeping the car stock and adding a good tune? In the May 2003 High Performance Pontiac their shootout has a car owned by AJ White. It is a 2002 WS6 and the only mods he has is a 4000 stall converter, ET Streets and he tunes it with Auto Tap software. His best run of the day (they were running 1/8th mile in this particular shootout) was 8.07 @ 85mph. According to the publication that transfers to a 12.55 ET in the 1/4 mile.

My car is a six speed so the converter is a non-issue, has anybody run this fast on a stock car with tuning and slicks/drag radials?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

IMHO, If your car is 100% stock, then you likely will not see a big gain with a tune (though you could tweak other things like the rev limiter).

The 'slicks' are going to cost you when your 10 bolt decides to take a dump. The 'stock' rearends in our cars are a weak point and getting slicks is going to put a lot more stress on it. If you search on 'broken 10 bolt', you will get a bunch of info...

I am not trying to rain on your parade, BTW. I just wanted to give you a little 'heads up' about your stock rear end. Like yours, My Z is mostly stock. So far, I have 20k on mine with the stock rear still in there, but I am very careful about how badly I 'beat' on it and I am very good about keeping fresh fluid in it.

Good luck with your new ride!

James
Old 11-28-2005, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is a stock SS with the only mods being an 85mm MAF (which doesn't really help much), the free mods, and an underdrive pulley. I just put a 4.30 gear in an 8.8 rearend in it so I could beat on it more.

She ran a 12.59@109 on a 1.87 60 ft, traction limited with drag radials (M6). Check the timeslip database, there are guys that have run that fast with an M6, however usually you are one pass away from a new rearend anytime you put sticky tires on a M6 car. It definitely has the power to go that quick !

Good luck !