Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning w/exhaust gas temps

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning w/exhaust gas temps

Has anyone done any tuning using exhaust gas temps as a measure of performance? And is it even possible to change individual injectors settings on an LS6 engine?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:18 PM
9 Second Club

The second question I have no idea but yes I used a Percy's EGT meter to monitor EGT's and use it as a tuning tool.... In reality if you know what temps you are looking for and what is safe and what is dangerous it's easier than reading plugs....

If you're seeing 1700 degrees on full throttle nitrous runs then you are in serious need of fuel.... And if you're seeing 1000 degrees at steady state cruise then you're rich as a pig.... it's not an exact science but it's better than pulling plugs every pass.... Especially since most EGT meters will record max temp..... Some even compare bank to bank with dual probes.... I look at alot of pictures in magazines at the engine bays of 7 and 8 second cars and you'll be surprised how many have either probes sticking out of header tubes or the bungs welded in for them.... So if the fastest guys are doing it it's gotta be worth it...
Old 01-17-2006, 09:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the wideband O2 meter has pretty much
replaced EGT as an EFI tuning tool. Of course the
pros can afford to instrument it up both ways.

There are per-cylinder injector offsets that could
help with balance but I haven't seen anyone talk
about using them. Not sure how you'd go about it,
maybe the balance test some tools let you run?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Its a very interesting subject. I had the opportunity to talk with a gentleman that used to work for Delphi/AC Delco for many years in the testing dept. They used ex gas temp for all of thier test mules. Now he works for a Belgian company that produces O2 sensors and some other equipment, one of which is a complete ex temp monitoring system. He gave me a complete system for my car, the very same system most engine builders use in NASCAR. He was showing me some data from one of the test mules, it was incredible to see the wide spread of temps from cylinder to cylinder on an injected car.
But you should see a carbarated motor; the temps were right on top of each other (but far from being ideal which means tuning was needed). He said this was due to the even distrabution of air and fuel to each cyl. Thats why I asked about setting fuel trims for individual cylinders.
I'm excited about hooking this equipment up and tweaking the fuel system to see what kind of gains I can get while keeping everything at a safe level.
These ex sensors are not thermo couples like many of the others, they have a special platinum probe which is more reliable and accurate.
Gotta love technology, ecspecialy free technology.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

im not the most technical person, but what if you have a cam that has alot of overlap. The wideband could be reporting a false lean. In that case wouldnt EGT readings help out?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen a system that will log EGT for all cylinders. A wb give you the a/f. U then port the intake to get the per cylinder temp the same. This will keep u from running lean in one cyliner. Will also make a few more HP. Can u it in the car or dyno.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

I agree that using these monitor has a place in all engine builds, its just a very pricey peice of equipment. I like many of you have seent hese probes in every major engine builders dyno cells. Therefore it obviously has a place in our world too.