Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Hypertech tuning chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question on Hypertech tuning chip

ive been thinking about putting a hypertech chip in my ls1, but i dont think i fully understand what its supposed to do and how u gain power...if it doesnt regulate fuel or anything...what does it do and how does it work??? id appreciate everyones advice
Old 02-23-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

You won't see any real power improvement with the Hypertech tune. About the only things it's useful for is correcting for gears/different tire size, fan setting temps, and raising rev limiter.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#1 .. never say "Chip" when referrign to LS1 based vehicles

#2 ... unless you are getting a used hypercrap for under 100 bux and are sure it will work on your car... don't do it.....

The hypercrap "powertune" is bullshit ....
Old 02-24-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

What you will mostly read about the hypertech tuning is negative. This is because of two things. Either the person describing its foibles has had a bad experience by owning one or they are repeating what they have heard or read.

The truth of the matter is the hypertech tuning is limited to a basically stock engine that is running perfectly. Their web site FAQ describes the conditions under which the hypertech tuning is designed to work. For example, they explain that their tuning works with minor modifications to intake and exhaust. They go into some detail describing where it won't work. Things such as headers and forced induction are the modifications the hypertech cannot anticipate. Other issues that will make the hypertech of no use regarding tuning are things like a lean a/f ratio at WOT. This is what I am currently working through. I had my car dyno'd with the hpp III. It showed no improvement to performance BUT my WOT a/f ratio was at 14:1. This lean condition caused the PCM to move to the low octane table(s) to regulate performance. The hpp tuning was still in my PCM but was not being accessed during the dyno pulls. So, it wasn't that the hpp was worthless, it was a situation where it wasn't being accessed. Hence, people experience no gains from the hypertech tune and assume the performance claims are a ruse.

I have not yet found a professional PCM programmer make the claim that the hpp tune is worthless. They rightfully can say that their tune is better because they can make flexible adjustments and are available to improve on even what they have already done.

If you are near stock and know that your engine is performing as it should, you will see a performance enhancement with the hypertech. If you have any serious modifications or are having DTCs or other engine anomalies you will be wasting your money until the problems are fixed.

A professional tuner can adjust your performance to suit a very wide array of conditions; the hypertech cannot. I hope this makes sense and gives you a better understanding regarding the limits of the hypertech tuning firmware module or hand held tuner.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

The hypertech tune I just downloaded off a 2001 TA, in the "bin repository" commands a 11.4x air fuel ratio in the PE vs RPM table.

While I may not be a 'professional pcm programmer' listed on my business cards I will go out and say, that it is a fairly rich commanded air fuel ratio for a performance application.

I have owned a hypertech in the past, and honestly only adjusted for the fan temps.

Ryan
Old 02-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Teching In

well thanks for the replys everyone... it makes alot more sense now, i jus bought my LS1 about a month ago and have alot of learning to do
Old 02-24-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

At least you've found the right place to learn just about anything you could ever want to know about these cars.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^you'll be very grateful for forums like this then... so you don't make the same mistakes many of us here have made

Mike
Former HPP3 owner

(another item to stay away from, aftermarket MAFs... your stocker is fine for tons of power)
Old 02-24-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

I bought a HPP3 for my '02 before discovering this site. That was a waste of $350.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

The HppIII does work good if you do a gear,temp,tire/wheel change. Usually your first entry mods. You can buy one used for 175 or less it has its plus. Yeah 350.00 is a rip though.