Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp mode maybe? Tuning help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Limp mode maybe? Tuning help?

So i got the new drag radials on the back the other day and Friday night i went out and had a race set up with a 99 Cobra on a 100 shot. I have a 4200 stall, with the stock tranny just with a huge cooler. I launched at about 3700rmps (great launch!) Then i was pulling on him and what not and when it went to go into third it hit the limiter like crazy. So i backed out of it and got back in it but still just got limiter. So i just stopped and then took off just real slow and regularly, and all i had was first, reverse, and park. So at this time i was just thinking okay its gone. But then i let it sit for about ten minutes and then i drove it again and it worked just fine, and is still working just fine. Do you think i just have a problem with WOT shifting or do you think that its pretty much about shot? Could it be that the car is going into limp mode? It isnt thrwoing a code though. It has been making a sqreeching noise between second and third shifts. Sounds like to me its the clutch packs that are making the noise. Any help would be great!
Old 03-05-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you lost all the other gears (like it was neutral reving) then it's doubtful it's PCM related....

Likely when you were on it hard WOT, the trans fluid heated up past the normal limits then for whatever reason wasn't applying the bands/clutches correctly...

Check the fluid to see if it looks burnt
Old 03-05-2006, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE] [Likely when you were on it hard WOT, the trans fluid heated up past the normal limits then for whatever reason wasn't applying the bands/clutches correctly.../QUOTE]

that may be the problem.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Launching!

It didnt act like it was in nuetral it just wouldnt shift out or frist gear. I have tranny temp guage and it didnt go over 195 all night and it was at about 160 when i raced. Right after it happend i checked the fluid and it wasn't burnt or discolored.