Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sims Front and rear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 Sims Front and rear?

I have a 2000 WS6 with basic bolt ons and a MTI X1 Cam. The cam is fairly new and I havnt had the car tuned yet but plan to this week. My question is for some reason i keep torching my O2 cables and ruining them. I have hooker longtube headers. I already run O2 Sims in the rear.. can i run these in the front as well? Or can this just be tuned out or in the end do i need these two O2s.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO, you can't run O2 simms in front...

When you say you keep torching your O2s what do you mean exactly? what codes they keep setting? do you have O2 extensions? what O2 sensors are you using?

The front O2s are what keep you at stoich during part throttle and idle operation... if you remove these you'll have **** poor gas mileage since you'll be stuck in open loop all the time. (unless you properly tune for open loop operation)
Old 03-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Teching In

me and my old roomie made our own extensions but they keep getting burned up and i remake them. I guess i could order some extensions but then i need new o2s as well. I do have **** poor gas mileage... maybe this is the reason.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

yea, if the wires are burning up, it's either you didn't use large enough wires (too small a gauge) or they're hitting the headers and melting...

This'll set an SES light for the front O2 sensor which will force you in open loop.

Best bet would be to buy a set of AC Delco or Denso O2s for a 2002 Corvette... but buy the ones that are post cat, these have longer wires. Some have had problems with extensions causing a O2 heater code when used with long tubes, but the issue is more rare when using the longer length AC Delco or Denso sensors
Old 03-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

or you could go to a tuner and have them do an open loop tune for you.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Problem w/having an open loop tune on a car and not having a tuner software yourself (and not knowing how to tune the car) is that, when it comes time for emissions you'll need the O2s working in order to pass (front)

Also not many tuners will do an open loop tune as it takes more time to get it dialed in properly (though no where near as long as it used to thanks to tuning suite's like HP Tuners)