PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you want 15-20 FREE HP, then get in here...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wink Do you want 15-20 FREE HP, then get in here...

In the dyno section, there is a guy that got his "Cam Only" car SD tuned and he put down 430hp and 409 lb ft.

His mods are: lid, ported stock, ud pulley, has Pacesetter Headers 1 3/4", Hooker ORY w/ flowmaster merge, and a Magnaflow Camaro/Firebird muffler, TSP Torquer 2 cam (232/234 on a 112 LSA), LS6 Intake.

Basically he is claiming that if you tune your car in SD mode, you'll gain a lot of HP &TQ.

So if I use that cam along with my STG 2 heads and EWP, I should hit at least 445 HP & 415TQ if I run my car in SD mode, yeah right....

Here's the link:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/476930-torquer-2-cam-only-speed-density-s.html

Sounds WAY to good to be true...
Old 03-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah. Definitely. I saw up to 60+ HP gains when I switched to SD, and I only have bolt-ons

I saw the thread, and while the numbers are pretty nice, I'm sure they are a little on the inflated side.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO
A car with a great MAF tune will make about the same power as a car with a great SD tune.
The key words being great tune.

Now here's the thing. It's a lot easier to get that great tune nailed down in a SD car.
IMO most people running the MAF never quite make it to that level,
so on the surface it appears to be a bigger advantage than it is.
On the other hand, it's a very practical observation because many people run better in SD mode.

My preference is SD and open-loop, where there is little going on that can mess up your tune or keep you from getting it where you want it.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by white2001s10
IMO
A car with a great MAF tune will make about the same power as a car with a great SD tune.
The key words being great tune.

Now here's the thing. It's a lot easier to get that great tune nailed down in a SD car.
IMO most people running the MAF never quite make it to that level,
so on the surface it appears to be a bigger advantage than it is.
On the other hand, it's a very practical observation because many people run better in SD mode.

My preference is SD and open-loop, where there is little going on that can mess up your tune or keep you from getting it where you want it.

Agreed 100%
Old 03-28-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

It depends on the state of the engine. If its stock I might agree.
However there is no way in a non stock engine that the maf will give more power.
It cant. It restricts the amount of air allowed into the engine. SD will always be able to get more power.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

SD tunes are overrated. Oh, wait.....
Old 03-28-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Oh yeah. Definitely. I saw up to 60+ HP gains when I switched to SD, and I only have bolt-ons

I saw the thread, and while the numbers are pretty nice, I'm sure they are a little on the inflated side.
... a little???

That BS crap happens once in a while in the dyno section. Someone jumps online and starts quoting WILD numbers to stir shiet up. They often end-up with no dyno-graph, no proof, just kind of dwindle into obscurity... The poster said he would post a graph later today, so hopefully we will see something…
Old 03-28-2006, 02:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats why i dont dyno tune...there are a bunch of guys that went to a local dyno day over here with just mild bolt ons making 350-360hp/tq on stock tunes...I would get the person that would end up dynoing at 340 with a tune and get bashed...I'd rather have them take it to the track & run the number rather then sit on a dyno trying to make some majical #
Old 03-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by SideStep
... a little???

That BS crap happens once in a while in the dyno section. Someone jumps online and starts quoting WILD numbers to stir shiet up. They often end-up with no dyno-graph, no proof, just kind of dwindle into obscurity... The poster said he would post a graph later today, so hopefully we will see something…
Meh...even a graph won't be enough to convince me that the dyno just reads high. Quarter mile times/traps would clear this up really quickly.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

noob to tuning

whats sd mean?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

SD = speed density = no MAF.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

The way I see the MAF and SD deal is that the SD :

YOU are to dial in the car as how it should run, you dial it in right, it runs right; if you dial it in wrong it runs wrong or off of what it should be

With the MAF, you dial in the MAF for new mods added to the car...it runs good...and if you don't dial it in right then its wrong...and runs wrong.

I have just finished dialing in my MAF with my setup I have, bolt ons only; and personally I have also done SD to try it and felt no gain after switching back to MAF or any loss.

Dialing in the MAF is a lot EASIER than the VE, as with the VE you must get the car at part throttle to run ~14.6 for best MPG(in a way) and at WOT for whatever AFR you want.

The maf dialing in was EASY...if anyone needs help with EFI live and doing so let me know. I like the way my car is running now...and now to remove the damn AIR pump and stupid crap like that and to still pass emissions!!!!! mwahahahahha
Old 03-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
The way I see the MAF and SD deal is that the SD :

YOU are to dial in the car as how it should run, you dial it in right, it runs right; if you dial it in wrong it runs wrong or off of what it should be

With the MAF, you dial in the MAF for new mods added to the car...it runs good...and if you don't dial it in right then its wrong...and runs wrong.

I have just finished dialing in my MAF with my setup I have, bolt ons only; and personally I have also done SD to try it and felt no gain after switching back to MAF or any loss.

Dialing in the MAF is a lot EASIER than the VE, as with the VE you must get the car at part throttle to run ~14.6 for best MPG(in a way) and at WOT for whatever AFR you want.

The maf dialing in was EASY...if anyone needs help with EFI live and doing so let me know. I like the way my car is running now...and now to remove the damn AIR pump and stupid crap like that and to still pass emissions!!!!! mwahahahahha
Did you just do an AFR % Error?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by foff667
thats why i dont dyno tune...there are a bunch of guys that went to a local dyno day over here with just mild bolt ons making 350-360hp/tq on stock tunes...I would get the person that would end up dynoing at 340 with a tune and get bashed...I'd rather have them take it to the track & run the number rather then sit on a dyno trying to make some majical #
Couldn't agree with you more Bill. I have yet to tune a car that didn't show a gain or improvement at the track, but I have seen a few dyno queens that can't run any faster/quicker yet they "show" over 400hp.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:43 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Couldn't agree with you more Bill. I have yet to tune a car that didn't show a gain or improvement at the track, but I have seen a few dyno queens that can't run any faster/quicker yet they "show" over 400hp.
Oh what do you know
Old 03-28-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh what do you know
Well... As you know as good as anyone the min I stopped taking my car to the dyno I finally got out of the 13's.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Well... As you know as good as anyone the min I stopped taking my car to the dyno I finally got out of the 13's.
Don't be laughing...I'm still in the 14s
Old 03-28-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't be laughing...I'm still in the 14s
But you look good at it man!!
Old 03-28-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Did you just do an AFR % Error?
yeh, to dial in the MAF so that the fuel trims quit going so damn positive. Also changed my PE table...AFR
Old 03-28-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
yeh, to dial in the MAF so that the fuel trims quit going so damn positive. Also changed my PE table...AFR
I'm curious so you can tell me.
Did you add a % increase to certain parts of the MAF table?

I've only had to tune a MAF once for a swap to one that was 25% larger, but generally I don't mess with them. Then I added 25% to the table and then went back and had to fine tune the lower values around idle & off idle. I'm just curious to hear about what you did since you said it was fairly easy.