Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found the problem w/ my 98 TA but have question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found the problem w/ my 98 TA but have question

I now know for certian now that its the TPS and my MAF that are bad. Im going to try the MTI TB and TPS off my SS(no maf on SS though cuz its SD tuned) and i have access to a MAF from a 2000 Z28 A4. Will any stock de-screened MAF from a 98-00 LS1 work on my TA or will I need to get it recalibrated and/or re-tuned with the aforementioned parts or should it be ok???
Thanks for any input
P.S. If this is a beat to death issue or a no-brainer then i apologize but i didnt find much using the "search" button
Old 05-27-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

98-2002 factory ls1 f-car maf's are the same

only the aftermarket maf's are year specific, since the newer cars won't tollerate as much leaning them out.

Ryan
Old 05-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not completely sure what year was the switch over but I know for certain that on my 98 the stock MAF did not have an IAT in/with it. Is your IAT still in the lid or is it combined in the MAF? In the case of the 98 you have the choice of keeping the lid IAT or using the later MAF w/IAT. I don't know if there is much performance difference as the placement btw the two are so close. No flames, Slowhawk I just wanted it to be clear for others with later years the differences. I'd hate to see someone get their hands on a 98 MAF (With a later car) only to find out there is no IAT.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

My IAT is in the lid. The reason iasked about 98-00 cars is because i thought the 01-02 mafs were a lil differnt but guess not. I do have a de-screened SLP 85mm MAF (from my 99 SS when it was a H/C setup) i could use but that would probably mess my tune all up wouldnt it???
Old 05-27-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc
I am not completely sure what year was the switch over but I know for certain that on my 98 the stock MAF did not have an IAT in/with it. Is your IAT still in the lid or is it combined in the MAF? In the case of the 98 you have the choice of keeping the lid IAT or using the later MAF w/IAT. I don't know if there is much performance difference as the placement btw the two are so close. No flames, Slowhawk I just wanted it to be clear for others with later years the differences. I'd hate to see someone get their hands on a 98 MAF (With a later car) only to find out there is no IAT.
Those were only used on later vettes. All 98-02 F-body MAFs are the same.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They should be the same maf but i've seen different part numbers depending on what year it came off of. When mine went out it required minor retuning of the maf table, however that could of been due to tuning the bad maf in the first place.

It may not be both the tps and maf. I've seen bad maf's fake the pcm into believing there's a tps problem.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:42 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Those were only used on later vettes. All 98-02 F-body MAFs are the same.
Ok, I guess I must have been on crack when I bought my Z on April 4, 1998 right off the showroom floor and the dealerships janitor jumped into a Delororian hit 88mph and went Back to the Future to get a "later" MAF off a Vette and came back just in time for me to buy it and 8 years later make a dumb *** comment like I made. Right. Note the bone stock 1998 MAF on the left in the photo. The SLP 85mm MAF on the right, connected to the lid and bellows bears the "later," IAT (Inlet Air Temp Sensor, for those of you in Rio Linda). For someone like my self, with a 98 with a IAT mounted in the lid, the SLP 85mm MAF's IAT unhooked gives no problems. Now you may also note that the Cheesey SLP add on resistor is not there and I have rescaled the MAF w/ EFI Live. So to answer what the originator of this thread was asking...will a SLP 85mm MAF mess with my 98? Well if it has any mods besides a lid then I say yes it will make the car lean from my observations with EFI Live and a LC-1 wideband sensor. The cars untouched calibration is fat, so if that is the only mod then ok, you will get a measureable gain-not much tho.
Attached Thumbnails Found the problem w/ my 98 TA but have question-maf-comparason.jpg  
Old 05-28-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc
Ok, I guess I must have been on crack when I bought my Z on April 4, 1998 right off the showroom floor and the dealerships janitor jumped into a Delororian hit 88mph and went Back to the Future to get a "later" MAF off a Vette and came back just in time for me to buy it and 8 years later make a dumb *** comment like I made. Right. Note the bone stock 1998 MAF on the left in the photo. The SLP 85mm MAF on the right, connected to the lid and bellows bears the "later," IAT (Inlet Air Temp Sensor, for those of you in Rio Linda). For someone like my self, with a 98 with a IAT mounted in the lid, the SLP 85mm MAF's IAT unhooked gives no problems. Now you may also note that the Cheesey SLP add on resistor is not there and I have rescaled the MAF w/ EFI Live. So to answer what the originator of this thread was asking...will a SLP 85mm MAF mess with my 98? Well if it has any mods besides a lid then I say yes it will make the car lean from my observations with EFI Live and a LC-1 wideband sensor. The cars untouched calibration is fat, so if that is the only mod then ok, you will get a measureable gain-not much tho.
What's your point. Every 98-02 F-body came from the factory with the MAF like shown on the left in your picture with the IAT in the lid. Have any dealer look up a MAF for a 98-02 F-body and it will show the same part#. Looks to me like the original poster asked if any 98-00 LS1 MAF would work on his 98, not if any 85mm truck, vette, or SLP maf with integrated IAT would work.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Addict

Well i went to Advance Auto parts earlier tonight and bought a screened factory stock MAF and a new TPS & then installed both on my TA. After that i had the codes cleared and took her out for a spin and damn was it running like a raped ape for the rest off the night. It feels so much faster now and the SES light stayed off so i guess my problem is fixed. I'll be taking it to the track Friday night to see for sure if it's running the number which im expecting to be at least 12.30s@115+mph on 275/40 MT DRs