Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Positive trims with higher IAT's

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive trims with higher IAT's

Why do trims go positive with higher IAT's?

You would think increase in temp air has more volume less density. Molecules farther apart less fuel to maintain correct afr.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Addict

I think it's related to the heat-soak compensation built into the PCM. I just run a -3~-5 LTFT at idle to try and battle this. Besides, if it does go a little positive, what's the harm? It's idle...not WOT.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

If it is heat soak compensation what tables deal with it, Ive never heard of anything like that just fuel adder tables based off IAT
Old 07-24-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cylinder charge temperature is the table that deals with incoming charge air temp on fbodies, not sure if the trucks uses the same term for it. The pcm uses a bias between IAT & ECT to determine the temp of the incoming air. It is heavily weighted towards IAT. Since the IAT on fbodies sits on top of the radiator, it is prone to heat soak. This causes the IAT sensor to report a much higher air temp than actual. Since the air temp is cooler than reported, the mixture is actually too lean. The pcm sees this via the O2 feedback and adds fuel by + trims.

Your IAT sensor is in the MAF correct? I would think heatsoak would be reduced to some degree because of this compared to an fbody.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bshell
Cylinder charge temperature is the table that deals with incoming charge air temp on fbodies, not sure if the trucks uses the same term for it. The pcm uses a bias between IAT & ECT to determine the temp of the incoming air. It is heavily weighted towards IAT. Since the IAT on fbodies sits on top of the radiator, it is prone to heat soak. This causes the IAT sensor to report a much higher air temp than actual. Since the air temp is cooler than reported, the mixture is actually too lean. The pcm sees this via the O2 feedback and adds fuel by + trims.

Your IAT sensor is in the MAF correct? I would think heatsoak would be reduced to some degree because of this compared to an fbody.
OK this is making sense, how did you tune for this overcorrection?
Old 07-24-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Set the bias to 1.0 so it uses IAT and ECT equally. Not sure if you caught the thread on hpt yet: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6345
Old 07-24-2006, 08:38 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was under the understanding that this was only an SD issue. Unfortunately, the fix also includes relocating that IAT into the intake manifold. I am not eager to hack into mine.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

I've been SD too long to know if it does / doesn't occur with the MAF. I set my bias to 1.0 and left the IAT in the lid. The fueling is more stable (according to my wb). I've also tuned a car in closed loop SD and noticed a smaller swing in fuel trims.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

great read that answered my questions