Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Debating Self Tune vs. Hire...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Debating Self Tune vs. Hire...

I am doing an LS1 conversion into a '56 Chevy Convertible. I have an '04 Corvette Engine, and 4L60e, both new. I've ordered a Camaro computer.

I'm debating whether to spend a few hundered dollars more so I can tune myself, or just pay the $300 that most people want to do it.

I suspect for the most part once I get it running, I may not want to tune it. I"m not tuning for racing, although, I've always interested in performance (I just pulled a 350 with a 144 Blower and sold to move to this.)

It seems the stuff I have brouwsed here in the stickies is for tuning cars that came with LS1s, as opposed to doing mods to get a NON-Original LS1 car going (i.e. no emissions, etc, etc.)

I am technically savvy with computers, and can figure this out, but not sure I should go to the effort.

Of course, if I 'buy my tuning', I can imagine changing wheels, needing to change it; and wanting to tweak.

Oh well...any comments?
Old 07-31-2006, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your leaving it stock after the install buy a canned tune, otherwise get some software so you can play with it yourself, its an enjoyable challenge most of the time.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Anyone capable of figuring out how to do their own non factory motor swap will probably get more out of buying their own tuning software. Most canned tunes or 1 shot dyno tunes still leave some driveability on the table, and if you do one more mod that requires another tune, you will have more invested in two paid tunes than you would in buying software.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about this option, taking it to a dyno tuning shop, such as one of the advertisers here.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With A software purchase from us, we can set up your file for free. Also, we have pcms for you application for 100. shipped with a stock calibration.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait4Me

Thanks. I'll give it some thought. I wish I had know about the PCMs. I purchased one on eBay last week. I had posted for one in Parts Needed here, and had no response. I assumed they would be higher at a vendor. I'll have to smarten up and look through those ads more.