Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wideband 02

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wideband 02

was wondering what the point of getting a wideband 02 for? is it strictly for aquiring data for tuning? or does it replace your stock O2's and deliver a more precise reading to your pcm?
Old 08-26-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Junkie

A WB is a tuning tool. As well, many of WB's available can double as a NB to replace your stockers.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
A WB is a tuning tool. As well, many of WB's available can double as a NB to replace your stockers.

cool, was thinking about getting a wideband o2 before i get my car tuned. is there a certain type of WB i need to look for that can replace my stock O2 sensors, and also be a compatible input for my pcm to read.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would leave the stockers alone in my opinion, I dont know if the wideband ones that double up as narrow bands give a stock connector, but you dont want to go splicing wires as its only millivolts your playing with so could throw your readings off.

I would say get a wideband which comes with a fitting that you drill a hole in the exhaust and weld in the thredded ring. What I done with mine was purchased some LT headers with a pipe that I can swap in and out the cats. In that pipe I welded the thread ring for the wideband. So have kept all my stock O2's, aldthough the PCM ignores the rear.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

dumb questions but I have o2 sims connected to the rear but still have the rear sensors in place to plug the holes, will it work to just put this wideband in the rear and leave it, or do I need to take it out while I'm not using it?
Old 08-29-2006, 02:30 AM
TECH Resident

I leave mine in all the time, but dont put it behinds the cats, you will get false readings, certainly dont use it to tune with. The cats try to make the gases look like 14.7.

If you have removed the cats and have a stright through pipe, mount the wideband in that pipe.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedWS6 00
I leave mine in all the time, but dont put it behinds the cats, you will get false readings, certainly dont use it to tune with. The cats try to make the gases look like 14.7.
??? HUH ???

You can put it behind the cats just fine and use it to tune. You must just take into account that the readings will be slightly lean compared to a WB placed pre-cat. Many dyno tunes are done with a wideband sniffer, so it's still possible to tune with one. I have the FAST single sensor version and it works just fine.

Cats don't have anything to do with trying to make the AFR look like 14.7. Three-way catalysts do three things simultaneously:
1. Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2
2. Oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide: 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
3. Oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons (HC) to carbon dioxide and water: CxHy + nO2 → xCO2 + mH2O

These things have nothing to do with AFR, which is merely a ratio of combustion reactants (air and fuel).

If you check a wideband pre-cat versus tailpipe sniffer, you'll find that they are pretty close and very consistent relative to one another.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

I know what you mean, perhaps I was a bit harsh, I meant I wouldn't do it myself.

I have run my WB behind the cats, the AFR dosn't seem to change as fast as before the cats.

As you say, Dyno's do it from the rear which is after the cats so it is a proven method.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Teching In

As long as your not using it for NB closed-loop tuning, the reaction time is just fine for steady-state WOT AFRs. The really cool thing about the FAST sensor is that there is no tricky wiring or cutting to hook it up. I just plug it in a rear-O2 bung with the power coming from the 12V auto adapter. It's great for tuning other cars on the road/dyno since it came with it's own carrying case and is completely portable. Piece of cake.