Sponsored by:

Possibly a dumb question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly a dumb question...

Hey guys,

I'm new to the scanning/tuning thing and I have a quick question. First, I have Hooker long-tube headers, no cats, and Corsa exhaust. I've never gotten the thing professionaly tuned for A/F but until recently I haven't thought it was an issue. Now it appears that both of my o2 sensors are dead (I have o2 sims for the other 2) and the car seems to be running rather rich. Here's the question: Do I still need o2 sensors if I get the car professionally tuned or would the reprogrammed A/F mapping make the o2 sensors unnecessary? o2 sensors can get expensive to frequently replace and I'd like to just use that money towards tuning instead if they are just going to crap out again on me.

I also think that my electric air pump has gone out but as I don't have cats any longer the secondary air system is unimportant and I'll probably just take it off the car when I get the car tuned and the codes deleted.

Lastly, I live in Charleston, SC and would be grateful to know of any local tuners out there running EFILive that could help me out for a reasonable price.

Thanks all for your help.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

if your 02 sensors are still on, which they should be, then yes you should replace them
Old 09-26-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolfsbane
Hey guys,

I'm new to the scanning/tuning thing and I have a quick question. First, I have Hooker long-tube headers, no cats, and Corsa exhaust. I've never gotten the thing professionaly tuned for A/F but until recently I haven't thought it was an issue. Now it appears that both of my o2 sensors are dead (I have o2 sims for the other 2) and the car seems to be running rather rich. Here's the question: Do I still need o2 sensors if I get the car professionally tuned or would the reprogrammed A/F mapping make the o2 sensors unnecessary? o2 sensors can get expensive to frequently replace and I'd like to just use that money towards tuning instead if they are just going to crap out again on me.

I also think that my electric air pump has gone out but as I don't have cats any longer the secondary air system is unimportant and I'll probably just take it off the car when I get the car tuned and the codes deleted.

Lastly, I live in Charleston, SC and would be grateful to know of any local tuners out there running EFILive that could help me out for a reasonable price.

Thanks all for your help.
Yep, you'll still need O2 sensors (or I would at least reccomend it). If you still have the ones from the rear you can swap them out with your fronts.

As far as tuning....we have a guy that does awesome work in Charleston. He has done a bunch of cars here and I have yet to hear a complaint. http://www.ls1powertuning.com/

His screen name is minytrker on FASTGM. He can turn off the air stuff and whatever else ya need done too. Hope to see ya around man.

Jason
Old 09-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!