Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maf Translator GenII

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Maf Translator GenII

I was reading through the instruction manual of the Maf Translator GenII and have a few questions.
1. Is it true that the translator only comes into play when the car is warming up or at WOT?
2. I didn't see a maximum MAF limit anywhere, what would it be? Or is there one? If there is no limit then one could make as much hp as possible while still using the MAF?
3. Has anyone besides Harlan used it?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 10:21 AM
Banned

Subscribing...
Old 10-17-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

My understanding is the PCM can't store an airflow value higher than 512grams/sec for the MAF. Whether or not it will understand a higher "translated" value might be a different question. Either way, the MAF itself will eventually max out - be it limited by it's components or the PCM. If the translator doesn't have any RPM, TP% or ECT inputs, I don't see why it would only come into play at idle, during warmup or WOT unless it's limiting you to the ranges you can adjust. If you can adjust between 3,000~7,000Hz, then you can adjust part throttle. But keep in mind, the PCM doesn't fully trust the MAF unless it has a steady flow above 4,000RPM. Transient throttle or throttle below 4,000RPM uses fueling from both the MAF and VE tables.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
If the translator doesn't have any RPM, TP% or ECT inputs, I don't see why it would only come into play at idle, during warmup or WOT unless it's limiting you to the ranges you can adjust. If you can adjust between 3,000~7,000Hz, then you can adjust part throttle. But keep in mind, the PCM doesn't fully trust the MAF unless it has a steady flow above 4,000RPM. Transient throttle or throttle below 4,000RPM uses fueling from both the MAF and VE tables.
The way I understood it was that the Translator II only comes into play when the car is running in open loop (i.e warm up and WOT). Meaning that after the car is warmed up and running in closed loop the car runs off the stock PCM.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
My understanding is the PCM can't store an airflow value higher than 512grams/sec for the MAF. Whether or not it will understand a higher "translated" value might be a different question. Either way, the MAF itself will eventually max out - be it limited by it's components or the PCM.
I agree that eventually there will be a limit to the maf. What I am unsure of and want to know is whether or not the Translator II will allow the full range of the MAF itself to be utilized, and to not be limited by the software in the PCM. And what the upper limit of the MAF itself is.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

You might want to try http://www.fullthrottletech.com/ since it's their product. You'll probably get a faster response.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is this different than the MAFtranslator I? I used one and observed the grams/sec change in real time at idle with a techII, and found it very useful for tuning idle and WOT A/F ratios.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I loved my MAFT...when I had it.