PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car running without vats module now... No check engine light self check....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Car running without vats module now... No check engine light self check....

Hey everyone.

Ill keep the question brief. Im totally stumped. Car is an 87...motor and trans are from a 99. The car would not run without the VATs module that I bought plugged in. Without it plugged in...it would start, then shut off 3 seconds later.

Well...I was driving home today, and I noticed that the VATs module wasnt plugged in. WTF?? How the heck is the car running without it hooked up?

Also I noticed that the Check Engine light doesnt self check during key on engine off... It stays off. The light is an LED...so I doubt it burned out. But Ill check on that.

I just dont understand. Car seems to be runnin ok. As good as it has been since I started driving it a few weeks ago atleast.

Anyone have any ideas on how the heck the VATs is all of a sudden not shutting down the car? Im hoping all is well with my PCM. Using my scan gauge, it seems as though most of the engine functions are working as they are supposed to.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Im waiting on a throttle body and a new MAF sensor and then I want to go for a tune. So Ide like to figure this out before that. If I need a new PCM..thats something I want to figure out now not after Im pulling into the tuner's parking lot. haha. THanks in advance!

Justin
Old 10-23-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

No ideas??? I did get the code p1626...I think thats what it was. Its for the theft deterant system. I guess the one time that I tried to start the car without the module and it actually worked, it threw the code. But now it doesnt.

This morning the check engine self test worked. But Im having idle issues now. Grrrrr...this is getting very frustrating. My NW TB comes in tomorrow. So after work today Im going to park the car until I install that. See if that helps with the idle situation. I wish I had a laptop with HPTuners so that I could see what was going on...

The other thing on my mind is that the PCM is for an A4 car... since the 99 camaro was originally an A4. Previous owner swapped in an M6. The PCM is still programmed as an A4 I think. Im hoping that my tuner can re-flash that puppy to an M6 so that everything works as it should. Atleast I got to drive her for alittle bit before things started going haywire. haha...

Justin
Old 10-23-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Justin - Now's a good time to pick up a copy of EFILive so you can really see what's going on with your car.

It sounds like you may have a variety of electrical/connection issues going on. Once you have a scan tool, you can view your data, and the tune tool will let you modify your tune to your liking.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input. I havent totally decided on a tuning software package yet...but Im leaning towards HP tuners. I had a chance to mess around with both before and I think the HPT is probably better suited for me.

Its just weird that it started all of a sudden. Its been working fine for almost a month...now its doing all these weird little things. Im going to try pulling power to the PCM for an hour or so after lunch today. See if that uncobbles the PCM.

My only concern is getting ready for the tuner. I dont want to show up with stupid little gremlins that prevent him from tuning it...or something silly like that. I guess a tune might be out of the question for this year....might have to wait until next spring now.

Justin
Old 10-23-2006, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

I disabled VATS with EFILive on my car to cure a hard start issue. Can I remove the VATS module to save some weight?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can remove it. As long as vats is deleted from the pcm.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

...I realize the VATS can be tuned out... but as far as I know it hasnt been tuned out. Before the car wouldnt run without my bakerselectronics module. Now it runs without it plugged in...and I get a code P1626. Even after I unhooked the battery all day and only ran the car with the module plugged in. Still got that code. I like being able to pull the module whenever i want and know that there is no way anyone can steal the car...unless they load it on a truck. I put a nice plug on it and all...

So I just dont understand why all of a sudden the PCM doesnt need the module, and seems to run good without it.

Justin

Edit... I forgot actually. Upon me taking delievery of the donar car, the previous owner "disabled" VATs using HP Tuners. The 99 ran fine when I got it home. And when I tried to fire my swap car...it started right up, but shut off. I built a VATs module...got the car to run, then purchased a nice professional one to take its place. So is it possible that his changes didnt take hold until just recently?? didnt think that could happen... In any case...we'll see what happens over the next few days.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is an odd thing. Usually it needs it or not. Unless you have a bcm in the vehicle and it has finished its password learning procedure.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wait4me
Yes you can remove it. As long as vats is deleted from the pcm.
Any idea if there is any sort of writeup on that? I have no idea what is all involved on removing the components.

Quick Reply: Car running without vats module now... No check engine light self check....