Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best For Me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best For Me?

I have a 98 WS6. I am having problems with my "stock" car, not getting any spark. I am planning on many mods, forced induction, fuel, exhaust, etc... I would like to buy a programmer/scanner that will do both, if possible, read trouble codes and also tune alittle. I plan on getting a shop to do a final tune on the car when I finish up with the turbo, but I would like to tune for smaller mods when added. Any suggestions?? very much appreciated
Old 11-14-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

EFILive is the best money can buy. The stickies at the top of this section will give you alot of valuable information so you can decide "what's best for you"
Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look into the v1 interface from EFILive. It is only $549 and comes with two PCM Licenses for you to use. Seeing how you have a 98' you won't use them as EFILive supports 98's for free, so you can tune your car and still have the two open available slots. That coupled with a wideband will suit you perfectly. Check my sig for pricing and specials on packages.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say both HPTuners & EFIlive will do the job...thankfully HPTuners is the ONLY software on the market that offers a 2 Bar Custom Operating system for your 98 which is great for boosted applications. HPTuners also comes with up to 4 PCM licenses for you to use so you can tune your car and still have as many as 3 open available slots

With a starting price of only $499 with upgrade paths available for the Pro MPVI.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Teching In

do i need a laptop for EFILive and will it read trouble codes?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:01 AM
Teching In

laptop for a HPTuner? what are the hand held programmers will they work for what i am requesting?? and what do you guys mean about open "slots"
Old 11-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Teching In

laptop for a HPTuner? what are the hand held programmers will they work for what i am requesting??
Old 11-14-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The v1 interface does require a laptop to use. EFILive's new V2 interface will offer flash/read capabilities once it is implimented into the interface. This is expected to happen sometime near the first of the year. It does cost a little more at $749, but offeres more features then HPT.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02SS
The v1 interface does require a laptop to use. EFILive's new V2 interface will offer flash/read capabilities once it is implimented into the interface. This is expected to happen sometime near the first of the year. It does cost a little more at $749, but offeres more features then HPT.
What features does V2 currently offer for his 98 over HPTuners? As far as I know HPTuners offers more licenses, 2 bar capability not to mention a lower up front cost.

You'd really want a laptop no matter the route you take. With Minimum requirement laptops selling for $100-200 & brand new laptops running $399 and up theres no reason not to have one. I swear I'll never buy a desktop again with the prices the way they are. I don't know many people that want to go out to their vehicle
Scan
go back to the house load their scan
modify their tune
load the tune
scan
go back to the house load their scan
etc.

For the extra money your spending on V2 you couldve had a minimum requirement laptop for either program really
Old 11-14-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

You need a PC no matter what - but If you don't have a laptop, you don't need one with V2.

Since most PC's come equiped with card readers, and if not they are cheap (~$5), the user can keep all tunes and logs on V2's SD card. So you really don't ever need to take the V2 out of the car. Just a chip.

Personally, once the bulk of the tune is complete, it's not an uncommon thing for me to sit in the house, analyze logs, tweak the tune (upto 2 or 3 versions) then take a week or two to try them out.

So yeah, V2 has a major advantage over any other hardware device (including V1) in it's standalone logging and flashing ability. Not to mention the expanded IO (4 0-5vdc, 2 12vdc, 2 K-type thermocouple, and serial connector (for dyno's)). Comparing V1 to V2 is like apples to oranges. V2 to anything else - there just is no comparison.

Slick - EFILive, V1 and V2, will scan/clear DTC's. I'm with Black02SS - the V1 option sounds like the best bet for you. If you later decide you want the V2 interface - no problem. EFILive has very fair and resonable upgrade policies to get you what you need.