PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 to 99+ PCM swap - emmissions issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 to 99+ PCM swap - emmissions issues?

Will a swap from a 98 f-body pcm to a 99+ PCM/harness effect passing smog? I know the test on OBD2 cars requires an interface with the PCM to check for thrown codes - assuming the 99 PCM is happy with no codes, will there be a problem come smog testing time if it's in a 98 year model car?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you program a 98 vin into a 99 car? If no, then I don't know if it could pass smog, since people have said with a wrong vin, the car will fail.

Ryan
Old 12-05-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will not pass an OBD-II scan. You can not program your VIN onto a PCM program with a newer/older OS then the one your vehicle came with. When the scanner is hooked up, it will show a different VIN then the required one for emissions testing = FAIL! If you do not have an OBD-II scan, then it won't matter and you should pass the visual and tailpipe tests.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks guys for filling me in.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Let me get this straight, You have a 98 Fbody that you want to put in a 99 PCM? You are going to swap the harness, PCM, fuel sending unit, and Instrument cluster? I don't know about HP Tuners but with EFI Live that is exactly what I did and I was able to change the VIN on the newer PCM to the VIN of my old PCM no problem. I am sorry if I didn't get your question right. I had to read it several times and that is just what I interpreted your question to be.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Doc,

Yes, I have a 98 T/A, and want to swap to the 99+ PCM/harness/gauge cluster/fuel tank. This is encouraging news - have you gone to get your car tested yet?

Originally Posted by Doc
Let me get this straight, You have a 98 Fbody that you want to put in a 99 PCM? You are going to swap the harness, PCM, fuel sending unit, and Instrument cluster? I don't know about HP Tuners but with EFI Live that is exactly what I did and I was able to change the VIN on the newer PCM to the VIN of my old PCM no problem. I am sorry if I didn't get your question right. I had to read it several times and that is just what I interpreted your question to be.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

We haven't had that noise in Florida for about ten years now. I am sure I could "pass" if I needed to.