Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my untuned 99z

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default my untuned 99z

i am having some issues.....i know the car isnt going to run like a raped ape out of the gate..but.....i changed my oil and it smelled like gas really badly...also the oil pressure was not the greatest....25-30 while driving and as low as like 10-15 while at idle at a light...guys out on the street said that the car is prob running so rich that all the fuel being dumped into the chamber isnt being used and is breaking down the viscosity (i think thats how it;s spelled) of the oil.....so went from the usual 5w30 to the 10w40 oil pressure is great now above 40 at all times....my main question is how bad is it on the motor to drive it untuned???>.. i have to break in all the parts ne ways so it has to be drived....just dont have the bucks to have a good tune done right now....buy the was all upgredes are in my signature...if that helps ya thanks for any response weather good or bad
Old 05-21-2007, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously doubt that your oil pressure problems are a result of too much fuel. I see that you did a timing chain set and etc. Did the pickup tube O-Ring go back on smooth, with no tears or cracks in the O-Ring? That is known to cause random oil pressure fluctuations and low oil pressure.

As far as the tuning goes, that cam is a pretty big cam to be driving around un-tuned. I would recommend getting it in ASAP for tuning. Simple driving, highway driving and etc. for a short amount of time is not going to damage the motor from being un-tuned. I would not be doing any WOT runs or leaving it like this for too long however.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

You need a tune for sure. Major modifications like you have done and money spent, it isnt good to get cheap now and then risk blowing the engine by not paying someone for a tune.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

thats what i figured.....i need some other openions as far as what i have heard on the street....i know you guys have been there done that....the oil pick up line o ring was fine...
good indiana tuner anybody????
Old 05-22-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Im 2 hours north of you, Chad from greenlight is about 30 min.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Sweet Thanks Man