PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Hp Tuners and car is running lean!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 01:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Hp Tuners and car is running lean!!!!

I just finished installing a new forged 347 block into my 98 camaro and im having the hardest time tuning the damn thing. It runs fine and idles okay but while im logging it, the car has a tendency to run a litlte on the lean side, about 12 points above at most and the bars sometimes turn red on one bank but then a punch it and it goes back to normal. It leans out whle criusing at a steady rpm or stand still, and even when i gun it, it leans out a tad.... how can i adjust that??? Mods in sig
Old 05-26-2007, 07:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is no bank to bank adjustments...sounds like there is something mechanically wrong.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

first of all how are you reading the AFR, then what is your lean definition? 18.0AFR and up?

sounds like to me you need to increase your PE numbers (set PE to come in sooner) and increase your VE table a good bit/MAF table.

Also, here is some info: MAF and VE are blended below WOT and below 4k rpm. SO, thats where your fueling is at along with controlling your fuel trims (LTFTs)
You want negative fuel trims (LTFT's) as if they are positive the car will carry the positive fuel into WOT and cause you to go rich

I also see that you got a STS planned in the future.. check out my signature for info about that if you want.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This sounds to me like you're looking at narrowband
O2 sensors as an AFR gauge, and they're going to
sleep on you at low exhaust flows.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
This sounds to me like you're looking at narrowband
O2 sensors as an AFR gauge, and they're going to
sleep on you at low exhaust flows.
yeh we kinda need to know what AFR/how you are reading your AFR, via narrowband?? or wideband??

exactly what jimmyblue says....we gotta know what your lookin at man
Old 05-28-2007, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Ok... This might sound stupid..... Im kinda new to Hptuners.... maybe i should have read more before jumping in.. But im not understanding what you mean by reading the AFR,,,, where in the world do you see that? The Stoich is set at 13.6... but while in SD the car reads rich all the time with no bank to bank lean condition... Off the subject a bit my buddy has a 2001 trans am that he has the granetalli MAF and SLP Lid with minor bolt ons... when he switched from the stock MAF to the GMAF the car idles and runs great but reads about -12.6 on the LTFT only on the lower table readings tho. the higher table looks good all -2 to -3 and sometimes 0
Old 05-28-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Ok... This might sound stupid..... Im kinda new to Hptuners.... maybe i should have read more before jumping in.. But im not understanding what you mean by reading the AFR,,,, where in the world do you see that? The Stoich is set at 13.6... but while in SD the car reads rich all the time with no bank to bank lean condition... Off the subject a bit my buddy has a 2001 trans am that he has the granetalli MAF and SLP Lid with minor bolt ons... when he switched from the stock MAF to the GMAF the car idles and runs great but reads about -12.6 on the LTFT only on the lower table readings tho. the higher table looks good all -2 to -3 and sometimes 0
why is your stoich set to 13.6

Quick Reply: New to Hp Tuners and car is running lean!!!!