PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default please help

i have a 200 camaro i did a l92 swap in with a six speed, i converted to th400 car always started then all of a sudden it didnt, so i changed the starter and still didnt start then after a few tries it did, now all of a sudden it is not starting, it seems like this problem is tempremental.. i turn the key no turnning over or anything no sound nothing thst the cluster lighting up
what can be the problem??
any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Rich
Old 08-16-2007, 07:16 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Sounds like your pcm is missing the fuel enable signal from the bcm. In plain english the wires that are in the tumbler that recognize your passkey are wearing out/breaking down.

To confirm this pull the passenger's side kick panel and lower dash panel to get to the bcm and read the value of your key while in the tumbler at the off and start positions. Intermittent ohm readings will confirm the loss of the fuel enable signal.

At this point you have two choices, pull the stearing wheel and fix the wiring in the column or rig up the corresponding resistor value of your key to the bcm's input to ground.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Doc
Sounds like your pcm is missing the fuel enable signal from the bcm. In plain english the wires that are in the tumbler that recognize your passkey are wearing out/breaking down.

To confirm this pull the passenger's side kick panel and lower dash panel to get to the bcm and read the value of your key while in the tumbler at the off and start positions. Intermittent ohm readings will confirm the loss of the fuel enable signal.

At this point you have two choices, pull the stearing wheel and fix the wiring in the column or rig up the corresponding resistor value of your key to the bcm's input to ground.
you have me a little confused can you maybe put this in terms that someone that doesnt know much about pcm and diagnostics would understand?
thanks rich
Old 08-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

The theft deterant system on your car uses the little black thingy in your key, which is a resistor of one of 15 values. You can't just put any old key in the ignition and have it start up. The body control module, or bcm is looking for that specific value resistor to show up in that key that you put in the ignition tumbler. If the bcm doesn't see that predetermined value it interprets the situation as somebody has put the wrong key in and will not send the fuel enable signal to the powertrain computer module or pcm. Click, nothing but instrument panel lights.

There are wires in the stearingwheel column that hook up to the key interogation ckt that determine if the right key/resistor has been inserted. Over time, it is pretty common for these wires to fray, and go intermittent and eventually break and then you are in the situation you are in.

The following links may also help. In the second one, they bypass the wires off the stearingwheel directly underneath the column. You can go that route or by the bcm on the passenger side of the car. I can't really break it down any further than that. You should be able to get a start on it.

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/Passkey/Passkey.htm

http://shbox.com/1/air_bag_disc_2.jpg
Old 08-16-2007, 03:45 PM

picture is kind of hard to read due to the small print what i need to do is bypass a wire or solder a resistor in line? i think this is the problem if you can narrow it down as in the pic what to do with the wires i think i can figure it out
Thanks in advance Rich
Old 08-16-2007, 04:37 PM

let me see if i have this correct... i need to get a ohm meter read the ohms on the key/chip and buy the approiate resistor and solder on in between the plug and orange wire?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

You are on the right track. Keep searching and don't hesistate to ask more questions.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

More info. Don't give up.

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/controls/bcm00.htm

Quick Reply: please help