Sponsored by:

cam sensor adjustment ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam sensor adjustment ?

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.
I replaced an LS1 with an LS2 in a 99 camaro.
In the process I had to use the cam sensor for the LS2.
This required me to extend the wires from the back (LS1) of the block to the front (LS2).
The tach has never worked sence the engine swap and I get an check engine error for the cam sensor.
The part that gets me is that when I connect my laptop to the ODBII I can read a tach through the dashbd on the laptop.

My question is:
do I need to adjust the sensor (in or out) to get it to pick up the cam gear?
If so how do I do this?
Old 09-17-2007, 04:42 PM
FormerVendor

I have read about this problem before. The factory service manuals say that a cam position sensor isn't 'critical', and the PCM can determine the cam position without it (although the cranking times may be extended while the PCM determines cam position during startup). Hence, the PCM is able to determine the RPM off the crank position sensor alone.

It appears, though, the tach output signal from the PCM is driven by the cam sensor, and a side effect of not having a properly working cam position sensor is the tachometer doesn't work.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Yes I would agree. it also throughs an error so I can't take it to emissions until it's fixed. I read a thread that the problem is the timing chain set. I am using an after market double roller. I ordered a new stock one and will replace it next weekend. I'll find the thread and post it.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a LS2 im my 2000 TransAm i used the the LS1 to LS2 cam sensor adapter extension harness but you can do this >>
red wire goes to center of cam sensor terminal ,then swap the brown/white with pink/white