Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Wrecked car won't start

This may be in the wrong forum, so mods feel free to move it. I also tried a search, but it wasn't working.

I bought a wrecked 98 formula recently that was hit in the front end. It pushed the radiator up against the power steering pulley, but other than that the motor seems to be unharmed. I pulled the radiator away from the PS pulley and was going to start it to hear it run, but it wouldn't turn over. I was wondering if there was a sensor or something that shut the ignition system down once the airbags went off. The interior lights, radio, windows, and locks all work, and I can here the fuel pump when I turn the key, but the starter doesn't make a sound. I checked the fuses and none seem to be burnt out. If you have any information or can point me to another post, it would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Double check the easy stuff, Battery cables etc etc. Bought a 01 T/A and when it got wrecked a cable got pinched and would short out on the Frame when you tried to crank it. Good Luck
Old 09-19-2007, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by yzblue125
Double check the easy stuff, Battery cables etc etc. Bought a 01 T/A and when it got wrecked a cable got pinched and would short out on the Frame when you tried to crank it. Good Luck
I checked most of that stuff, but I'll check again. So is there a sensor or anything that would shut the ignition/PCM down after a wreck?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Question

Hmmm? Never would have thought of that, but I suppose there could be some sort of safety deal to shut off the car in case of a roll over.

checking in to see what happens.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

OK, I've been reading this forum and some say that the VATS will cut off fuel and spark. Will the starter still turn over if the VATS is engaged? And if the VATS does cut off fuel and spark, shouldn't the VATS disengaged when I put the key in the ignition?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Man I Dont know for sure, but ive rebuilt 4 F-bodys from wrecks, three Front end wrecks and they have always started, no sensor problems at all(even with the bags blown) maybe call your locall body shop and sweet talk them into given you a little hint or direction.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

ooooo. just thought of this, maybe it set of and after market alarm system and it wont start because it thinks its getting broken into!

Happened on a 1993 Z I did
Old 09-20-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

no.....i have done about 15 wrecks and there is no sensor. things to look for.
Part of the harness runs in front of the rad support (check by battery inside the black plastic wire protector stuff) check the frame grounds below the fuse block. I have had them not crank, not fire, etc. BCM controls spark and fuel so if pump is on then its somethin under the hood. all the cars i have dealt with were all broken wires, the key is to just find which one it is. ALSO......check the starter fuse, you will only have power to it while the key is turned to crank. Make sure you have that. have seen a few cars that have problems with that fuse.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

The starter is engaged by a relay in the fuse boxes up front. With the ignition on, pull the relay and junper the pins to engage the starter. It mighht just start.

Re'
Old 09-21-2007, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Ok, I took some of your advice and started looking at wiring. While doing this, I noticed this on the side of the fuse box. It looks like it was attached to the side of the fuse box before the wreck. I looked at my camaro and it doesn't appear to have this same setup on the side. Could this be part of my problem?

Old 09-21-2007, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

Double check all the grounds for continuity.

My parts car was banged up enough in the front to have pushed and cracked the radiator but still ran.

When I did start stripping it down, I would occasionally start it to move it. I had it stripped down so far then I had removed some of the ground wires for access to other parts. When I tried to start it later, the engine would not turn over, everything else seemed to worked. Reattached the all the ground wires and it started right up.

Here is a pic of damage.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

honestly i dont know what that is but it has nothing to do with it not cranking. My first car i did that was smashed horribly and it still ran fine. What i would do is turn the ignition to ON. In the fuse block closest to the rad support there is a mini fuse that says starter. i bleieve its 10. Jumper a hot power wire to that and it will pull the relay in and should crank the motor over na dit should fire up. if you put power to that fuse and nothing happens, either your relay is bad or you got a broken wire somewhere else.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Once again also....there is a large bundle of wires that runs on the front (top) side of the radiator support and then croses back over between the battery and the radiator. I have had broken wires there from smashed supports, check there. the only other bad spot is right under the brake booster but thats only if your strut tower moved back some.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Man do I every feel stupid but really glad at the same time I had been searching all the wires like all you guys suggested, couldn't find anything that was cut or smashed. I had already checked "all" of the fuses the first night it wouldn't start. And I do mean all of them, but I just didn't look at one of them close enough. My friend looked in the fuse panel on the side of the dash and the first one he pulled out, he said hey this fuse is blown. Changed the fuse and it fired right up Man did I feel stupid though. Thanks for all of your advice. Sorry for taking up your time with my blindness.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Launching!

IS this an auto or a stick car? if a stick, maybe some kinda clutch engagement switch issue.

Quick Reply: Wrecked car won't start