PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One bank super rich, other stoich?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One bank super rich, other stoich?

First I would like to say thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

I recently got my '98 z28 running after sitting for a while (while I was all over the world in the military). It has a new fuel pump and pressure is about 56psi at the schrader valve, it has headers and catback but still running the factory y-pipe with cats. New IAT sensor, cleaned the MAF, new plugs. The passenger side runs rich at an idle and misses bad at low RPM. It smokes black smoke whenever you rev it up or get on it. The driver side runs perfect, plugs are all greyish, no soot. I had it diagnosed at a local shop and they said it only threw a code for the MAF (which I had unplugged to see if it would run better) and passenger side coil packs which I had forgot to plug in. I pulled two O2 sensors from my C5 and put them in the passenger side one at a time both front and rear and it made no difference. Any ideas??? Thanks guys.

Last edited by TurboLs1; 10-09-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:46 AM
Teching In

any ideas?
Old 10-12-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's start with some basics:
Was it running well before it sat?
Are all the grounds good, battery voltage good?

It sounds like you may have weak spark on the pass side that is making act like it's rich, since I can't imagine how 1 bank can be that much richer than the other.

Or maybe a plugged cat or pipe on the right? Can you pull or swap the cats?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply, it ran fine before sitting. I believe all grounds are hooked up, alternator voltage is 14.5 which is perfect. I have not checked the cats. I wont have much time for anything for a week or two so I think I am going to take it to the dealer and let them diagnose it for $90 and I will take it from there. At this point with everything I have tried (swapping injectors, fuel rails, coil packs, wiring harnesses, 02's, plugs, wires, etc.) I am really thinking the $90 is well worth it...lol. Thanks again for the help!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:40 AM
TECH Regular

Was it sitting somewhere rodents are? I have personally seen a 98 S281 that sat for about 4 months suddenly not start one day. Popped the hood everything looked fine at first........ then we looked really close and saw turds everywhere and noticed frayed wire.

No joke the ENTIRE WIRING in the whole car from the front seats forward was replaced.

It was my buddies dad and now he has d-con EVERYWHERE. And they have cats. Lots of them.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Injectors can stick if they sit for a long time; swap your injectors from driver to passenger side... only takes about 20 mins. If the problem follows then...
Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tips guys. Sweet ride Frost!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, sounds like an injector sticking. Get them cleaned with the good cleaner that injects at the rail - works better and faster than the stuff you put in the tank. Dealer should be able to do it that way. I wouldn't even bother swapping them, just get them cleaned - can't hurt if its been sitting...