Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dyno tune or not??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno tune or not??

I am in the process of building a 402 for my 98 t/a, I have a mail order tune from tpis now. I know i will need to get the car tuned right away, probably wont even run without it. I have been treated very well at tpis, but they can not dyno tune. As far as i know they only have an engine dyno. I was thinking of taking it to speed inc to have it dyno tuned. What are some of your thoughts?? The only things i am worried about are, I will have to trailer the car and if it has issues i will have to leave it there if it cant be remedied on the spot and it is a 5+ hour drive to either place. my other concern is dynoing right after getting it running will not allow any brake in on the new engine, what is worse i dunno i dont want improper fuel delivery either too lean and burn **** up, or too rich, wash the cylinders. What would you guys do??
Old 10-18-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe someone in your area can help you get a runing tune on it? Just to get it stable is pretty easy. That would allow you to get a few break in hours on the motor before beating on it.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:58 PM
11 Second Club

That is the problem, i am in a rural area, i am the only one around that has a modified ls1 everbody else has a sbc or a grand national, mustang ect.. there are plenty of ls1 cars, but they are all stockers. As far as the break in for race engine normal break in is drive it like you are going to and be done with it. I just want mine to last more than a season or two.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as you are not changing the injectors, you can get it up and running and break it in on the tune you have now. Just go easy on it and only part-throttle. That way the O2s and PCM will keep the mixture straight - no WOT! The concern comes in when you change the injectors from the tune. You can break it in and then take it to the tuner and put new injectors in there if you need them, so the PCM can be changed for the injectors before starting it up. Make sense?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Will it still run with the fast 90/90 and the cam i have?? The only thing done to the 346 is a ls6 intake and headers. if i could just get a few miles on it to make sure i dont have any major problems before i take it to the dyno is my major concern. Thank you for your help
Old 10-20-2007, 09:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its gonna idle like **** and try to quit, but you can deal with that to get some miles on it. Especially if you are rural and don't have traffic to work with. So long as the injectors match the tune you are fine - I've seen too many people change the injectors without the tune and kill plugs or worse yet wash cylinders.

Glad to help... Get some miles on it and go get it tuned so the fun can begin...