Sponsored by:

Couple of ECU questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Couple of ECU questions

Hey all,

I've been trying to create a list of parts that I'll need for my swap, & as I do so, also trying to get a "ballpark" idea of how much each piece is going to cost. I started trying to check out the ECU portion today when I realized that I need a bit more info before I know which ECUs I can use...

First off, the swap I'm wanting to perform is an L92-headed LQ9/LQ4 into my '89 GTA. Because I really want to retain VATS, I've been told that I'll need to use an LS1 F-body ECU - which brings up my first question:

* Will an '00-'02 F-body ECU reliably run an '04-'07 LQx engine??

I know that there's only 18 cu. in. difference in displacement, but I'd really like to know whether there are any "gotchas" that may be awaiting me with this combo. Do any of the editing software packages include a feature that allows you to specify the engine size? Do the LQ-series engines have any features that I should watch out for when running the earlier PCM?

If indeed the two will work together, then I have another question - which of the two listed ECUs would be better to buy? The site I've been using lists both of the following as ECU choices for an '00-'02 F-body:

(ECU), (behind right strut tower), 5.7L, ID 9354896
(ECU), (behind right strut tower), 5.7L, ID 12200411

Both appear to have also been used in a large number of truck/van applications as well..

Thanks for any help you can give...

Last edited by V8Rumble; 11-17-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Oops

My apologies if this isn't the correct forum for this, I'd intended to post it in the "Conversions/Hybrids" forum...
Old 11-14-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This probably should go in the conversions section...but whatever. Fbody ecu will run an LQ9 or whatever. You can use damn near whatever computer you want. You just have to get it flashed for an f body (to make life simple). I think my ecu is out of a tahoe. The newer motors have a few querks that need to be dealt with...if you intend to use the fbody ecu. Reluctor wheel needs to be changed to the 24x, injector plug adapters, crank sensor harness, and knock sensor harness (all of which katech sells). Tuning software such as hptuners or efilive are more than up to the challenge of tuning ecu's.

I don't think I've seen a complete list for a third gen swap. Just search around, most everything has been covered on here numerous times. There are quite a few people on here who have done a third gen swap...myself included.

I don't know that you will be able to keep the vats though. I think you would have to swap the whole dash and all the corresponding wiring. The vats is a bcm function, and the bcm plugs into part of the dash harness and part of the engine harness. But I don't know for sure.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks fast377, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I've actually gotten the answer about retaining the VATS system (it's do-able provided I use the F-body ECM & do a bit of alternative engineering), so I'm not too worried about that. Didn't know about the other quirks you mentioned, so I'm definitely appreciative of you bringing that up!

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

EDIT: Would it be possible for a mod to move this thread to the Conversions forum, or should I just re-post the question there? Thanks.

Last edited by V8Rumble; 11-17-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Getting back to the original post - does anyone know the differences between either of those ECU part numbers??
Old 11-18-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Getting back to the original post - does anyone know the differences between either of those ECU part numbers??
99/00 PCM = 9354896
01/02 PCM = 12200411

They both use the same hardware. The only difference is between the operating systems they run.

Quick Reply: Couple of ECU questions