Sponsored by:

no cats, no 02 sensors help with PCM pls

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no cats, no 02 sensors help with PCM pls

i may be buying this car and here's what the owner says:

it has no cats, an no 02 sensors, tells me the check engine light is on and that the PCM has to be reprogrammed for it to work with no cats.

my question is, assume i leave the cats off, how would i go about putting o2 sensors back in there and not have to redo the PCM? just drill holes in the exhaust and weld in a thing to screw o2's in there?

or better yet, what's the best option that'll cost the least? i have to drive this car back a few thousand miles the way it is, without cats and with no 02 sensors, will this cause a problem?

another question is, once i get it here, this thing will obviously not pass emissions the way it is, whats the best solution?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:22 AM
11 Second Club

First off. Find out what your emissions laws are in your state.

Second If you need to put this all back on the car be ready for a good size bill.

Third Putting the o2 senors back on will not fix the problem. You will need CATS also. Or reprogram the car.

If you do some searching and check out the vendors in the right hand column, you can get an idea what it will cost to replace.

I don't think it will hurt the driving it back home like it is. But if some thing goes wrong with the car on the way back you wont be able to tell because the light is already on.

Just my $.02 worth. Hope it helps
Old 12-06-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok im guessing you are talking about the rear o2 sensor not the front ones. and since you dont have a cat why would you want to put the rear o2s back in because it will cause a code since you have no cats it will be telling those sensors that the cats are not working and still throw a code. so either get some sims or tune it out. personly i would go with tune them out.