Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG F#CK UP! NEED HELP ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG F#CK UP! NEED HELP ASAP!!

I just attempted to do the hide the wires mod to clean up my engine bay. I stopped after the first harness and then tried to put it back to stock using butt connectors instead of soldering the wires. The wires are all connected right atleast I think they are. I started the car and my traction control doesn't work, my ses light is on and when I change gears in my a4 (like putting in drive or something) it bucks. I reset the computer and it does the same thing except now there is no power. I can be at WOT and it shifts at like 2500 rpm. I hope it is just the computer relearning that is causing the lose in power. Any ideas. I also took apart my maf to polish the ends and put it back together right I didn't touch the little wires or try and port and descreen it but maybe that is the cause of some this. This was about two days ago I screwed up. I've driven it about 45 miles since then and it is still running like garbage. Please help me. TIA.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: BIG F#CK UP! NEED HELP ASAP!!

Ummm, sure sounds like some wires are not working. Which ones? Anybody's guess. I'd go over them one by one.

And butt connectors suck in the automotive environment. Solder / heat shrink is the only way to go. Just make sure you're soldering the right ones together.

I think diagnosis of your problem on the internet really won't help much. Have to have the car in front of you.

Have you tried pulling the codes at AutoZone (they'll do it for free)? That may give you an idea of at least where to start.

Good luck,

Andrew
Old 07-20-2003, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The "hide the wires mod" always scared me. I stayed a long way from that. I would suggest pm'ing Steve since he and Poltergeist invented this mod:

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showprof...hat=ubbthreads

Just fyi, your car shifting at 2500rpm at WOT is definitely not the computer relearning. How does it idle? Are the rpms all over the place and does it want to stall?
Old 07-20-2003, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried pulling the codes at AutoZone (they'll do it for free)? That may give you an idea of at least where to start.

That's a good idea. I still think you should get a hold of Steve. Actually, make sure you do. I'm sure he has pictures other than the ones on the install sight. That might help in your diagnosis. I personally would find someone with an LS1 and park side by side. Do the comparison test.

You cut the wires to the PCM and now you're car is acting funny. No way it's because of the minor MAF mod.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After I did this it had no idle. I used the gas pedal for alittle bit until it found its idle and when I start the car it idles fine now. The tcs is the only thing I would think of that would not work becuase of a bad connection. Any ideas why it bucks when I put it in drive or reverse. I am really clueless as to why it wont go higher than 2500 rpms unless I keep it in first. Hopefully I can redo the connections one at a time tomorrow. Keep the ideas coming.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a good idea. I still think you should get a hold of Steve. Actually, make sure you do. I'm sure he has pictures other than the ones on the install sight. That might help in your diagnosis. I personally would find someone with an LS1 and park side by side. Do the comparison test.

You cut the wires to the PCM and now you're car is acting funny. No way it's because of the minor MAF mod.
I not they are all connected to the right wires becuase they are all different color wires except two pink ones which I marked which one went where. Tomorrow I'll test the connections and if it still runs like **** I'll take it to autozone.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I not they are all connected to the right wires becuase they are all different color wires except two pink ones which I marked which one went where. Tomorrow I'll test the connections and if it still runs like **** I'll take it to autozone.
Yes, stick to verifying those wire connections. I'm not sure whether I'm reading your thread correctly, but it sounds to me that you're not sure how the connections originally went together.
What I would do first is to mark with a number, each side of each connection. In other words, if you presently have green to black for example, the green side you mark as #1, and the black side mark as #1..then #2 connection, #3, and so on. You can use pieces of masking tape, and pen. Then, you will need a schematic so that you now can verify each of the connections you've made, checking off each of your mods against the standard on the schematic. This definitely gives testament to disconnecting only one connection at a time. It's quite possible, depending on how many wires you had disconnected at one time, that several of your re-connections are one off.
I know that this is tedious, but it's the correct way to go.
Good luck to you.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not confused with matching up the ends of the wires becuase they all are different colors. If nothing seems to work though I will try it your way anyway gmag.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT. I need more suggestions fast.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

check the wireing to the MAP sensor, I left mine unplugged one tme, and the ASR wouldnt work, and I had an SES light. I dont have an auto though so I dont know about the shifting thing...
Old 07-20-2003, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the map sensor the maf itself? maybe i mixed up plugs to that with the throttle body becuase i unplugged both to clean them.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!! Thank You Freak!! I'm assuming that the map sensor is a piece attached to the throttle body becuase I looked for loose plugs and BAM, there it was. It was hiding undernieth some other wires and stuff and I must have missed it looking for any loose plugs the first time. Thanks a lot for everyone's help.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

Actualy the MAP sensor is at the back of the intake, but apparently there are other sensors that it needs.

glad you got it fixed...
Old 07-20-2003, 08:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not confused with matching up the ends of the wires becuase they all are different colors. If nothing seems to work though I will try it your way anyway gmag.
bigMAC, I'm sorry my friend. I misunderstood your message and thought that you had spliced two cables with different colored leads TO EACH OTHER (like a juction of some kind), and didn't want to appear like Mr.know-it-all in my response.
Please excuse MY dyslexia!
I'm glad you were able to remedy the situation!!